RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Jazman

WD 2TB Caviar Green 64MB - $130 shipped

usacomp2k3

@dvn. I only use mine for podcasts, so the 4gb limit isn't a problem. *shrug*

Jazman

Thanks. They came today and I expect to get around to adding them this week or weekend.

Keith

dvn

Installed in EX495. Ran benchmarks on all three installed drives for comparison. I ran the bench on WD20EARS drive twice - unjumped, then jumpered. Check it out

CrystalDiskMark
a>
*I ran the jumpered test twice because I didn't believe the first results.

pcdoc

Big difference. I actually expected an even bigger difference from what I have seen. Very nice results.

Jazman

dvn - I'd be interested in one more point if you get a chance. After you add a jumpered drive to the pool, do those number change?

Jaz

dvn

@Jazman - Glad you asked. I found that the above benchmarks were skewed because whereas the SYSTEM drive was certainly the 1.5 TB Seagate, the drive I reported as Seagate ST31000528AS 1 TB - POOLED storage was in fact the whole D: drive which is pooled storage consisting, in my case, of 1.5 TB + 1 TB Seagate drives. CrystalDiskMark does not differentiate between drives in the pool, so there's actually no way of knowing what was being tested. CrystalDiskMark data holds up, however, for the WD20EARS drive since it wasn't part of the pool.

I do have an answer for you, though. Using HD Tach, which does show the individual drives in the pool, the benchmarks were virtually identical for the drive in both backup and pooled configurations.

Jazman

Awesome info dvn. Thanks.