RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

First WHS Build, please go easy on me.

DirtyFish

So I'm planning on building a home server, possibly as early as next weekend, using Windows Home Server 2011.
I have the following draft parts list:
CPU - Intel Pentium G2020 or AMD A4-5300
Motherboard - Asrock B75M-R2 or Asrock FM2A75M-DGS
RAM - 4GB kit 1333 G.Skill-NT
PSU - Corsair VS350
Case - CM Silencio
Boot - Seagate 500GB
Storage - 2x WD Green 1TB
OS - Windows Home Server 2011

What I really want to know is;
1. Would I be better off with an AMD or Intel platform? I have heard that the AMD APU would be better for this kind
of thing, plus it is cheaper and the motherboard seems to suit my needs a bit better.
2. Will this perform well enough for use as a back up for the pcs on the network, as well as central storage for
media, streaming to multiple devices on the network and a bit of downloading?
3. Are WD Greens a good choice? I have heard a lot about "head parking" though I dont completely understand it, is
this something that will affect me since it probably won't be on 24/7?
4. I plan on running RAID 1 at the start since I'm cheaping out and don't want to buy a third drive to
run RAID 5, though I will be adding drives later on, question is, is the power supply too low end to run
a few more drives?
5. Are there any critical mistakes I have made in this that haven't been taken care of?

Any help or input would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
DirtyFish

Guest no-control

So I'm planning on building a home server, possibly as early as next weekend, using Windows Home Server 2011.
I have the following draft parts list:
CPU - Intel Pentium G2020 or AMD A4-5300
Motherboard - Asrock B75M-R2 or Asrock FM2A75M-DGS
RAM - 4GB kit 1333 G.Skill-NT
PSU - Corsair VS350
Case - CM Silencio
Boot - Seagate 500GB
Storage - 2x WD Green 1TB
OS - Windows Home Server 2011

What I really want to know is;
1. Would I be better off with an AMD or Intel platform? I have heard that the AMD APU would be better for this kind
of thing, plus it is cheaper and the motherboard seems to suit my needs a bit better.
2. Will this perform well enough for use as a back up for the pcs on the network, as well as central storage for
media, streaming to multiple devices on the network and a bit of downloading?
3. Are WD Greens a good choice? I have heard a lot about "head parking" though I dont completely understand it, is
this something that will affect me since it probably won't be on 24/7?
4. I plan on running RAID 1 at the start since I'm cheaping out and don't want to buy a third drive to
run RAID 5, though I will be adding drives later on, question is, is the power supply too low end to run
a few more drives?
5. Are there any critical mistakes I have made in this that haven't been taken care of?

Any help or input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

DirtyFish

1. Whoever said that needs to sit down and be quiet. Intel would be a better choice for this. the APU's GPU is useless for a server. the G2020 is a better choice.
  2. Yes, based on the info you provided.
  3. Greens are a great choice and a good value. For your use they are fine.
  4. I'm not sure where you're finding the Corsair VS350, but considering the CX430 is only $40 its up to you. For 4-5 drives the VS350 can certainly handle it.
  5. No not really everything is pretty good. I would still stress going intel for this over the AMD setup. If money is an issue the G1610 and an H77 board might be a way to save a few dollars without really sacrificing much. Hopefully you already own the case otherwise there a better cases for the money that do a great job keeping it all cool n quiet. Fractal Define R4 or Corsair 550D are both excellent quiet cases.
  • Like 2

Thanks for the input, I think I will go for the Intel platform in that case, running the storage off the sata2 connectors won't result in a noticeable drop in performance will it?
I'm from aus, so I don't know how that will effect the availability of parts, but it definitely effects price, the CX430 is $20aud more expensive where I am, in any case when I update one of the other rigs in my house I'll be swapping it out for something a bit bigger, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm definitely considering changing up the CPU, it is quite a bit cheaper. I don't already own the case, I just really liked the look of it. Still tossing up between that, the Corsair 200R and the Antec 300, since those are closer to the price range I'm looking at, Define R4 and 550D are both way more expensive in my region.

Thanks for the reply. All input helps.