RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Toshiba Thrive - Android Downloads and Streaming

Just Checking

I have limited experience with Android OS and I need some help in being able to set up my wife's Toshiba Thrive for Streaming Videos and accessing our network.

Is there a tutorial on how to set up an Android Tablet to interact with networks?  

I know that SkyDrive allows potential access to streaming videos and media but I believe you have to load it to the cloud drive to be downloaded to the tablet.  Is that true? 

I'm looking for better ways to directly access network shared drives on my server by the android device (tablet, or phone).  

From what I have experienced, third party apps are the way to go, especially one named BSPlayer.  They all play content just fine, but this one seems to integrate with Windows network the best, at least for me.

From what I have experienced, third party apps are the way to go, especially one named BSPlayer.  They all play content just fine, but this one seems to integrate with Windows network the best, at least for me.

Thanks jmwills.

I will look for that one.   I have been trying several of these players and found that VPlayer will open and play iso files of DVD's without converting them to avi or mp4 files.  I just tried realplayer, joesvlc, and VLCeu players.  They do not recognize iso files either.

The youtube video for the BSPlayer states that it has many codecs built in so it may work also.  The youtube video shows a gui that looks easy enough for my wife to navigate without too much hassle.   She is a smart woman - she just wants to be able to "use the thing and not have to make it into a research project".

On a related topic;

Does anyone know how to interface a android tablet with a windows based server to stream media and transfer files directly over wireless?   The only way I know to do this currently is to send the files, video, or pictures to a cloud drive then download it from there.  This is both tedious and unsafe.  

This app should see a Windows device.  It wants server IP address along with credentials.

This app should see a Windows device.  It wants server IP address along with credentials.

Which app are you referring to?  The BSplayer?

I downloaded the free app to try and it does not work any better than VPlayer (another free app).  BSplayer could open & play some iso files, but not others.   When it did start some iso files, it often would not have the sound.  Also the BSplayer free app had much more intrusive advertising

windows pop up.  

JMWILLS, did you purchase the BSplayer or were your trials with the free version?

I'd appreciate and will evaluate any other suggestions that people might offer. 

I'm still running the Free Version but will switch to the paid version.  I believe that if it works for me, it's worth paying for.

I have virtually no advertising with mine.  All of my files are either .avi, .mkv or .mp4 and all play with no issues.  My setup over here is as follows:

I have a Synology 2 bay NAS connected to a Linksys router.  The BS player sees local files but can also see network files, as long as you connect to the LAN.  BSPlayer performs as needed for me.

Thanks for the information.   I'll try to evaluate the BSplayer some more when my gets back from her trip.  She uses the Thrive to play movies on the airplane.  I don't get a lot of opportunity to work with it much so I try to have a gameplan mapped out to get the most work in with the least amount of time when she lets me work on it.