RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Media Device not showing all files - WHS 2011

koppa

I have recently built a HP N54L Microserver with WHS 2011 and have copied across all my media files.

I put all files in the Video share location on the server and when browsing the server from my PC, can see all video files there.

The problem is, when I try to access the server from Media Devices (via Network), it is missing quite a few of these files.  The same problem is happening when I access the server from my Xbox.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

I have been able to view all these files previously from my Windows 7 PC, but have been using the Zune share instead of Windows Media Player.

All the video files are .mp4 so unsure why some would appear and others wouldn't.

Does the size of the folder represent all of the previous files?

From what I can tell yes.  When I view the folders from Windows Explorer, all the files are there.  The problem is they aren't showing in the Windows Media library which is used by the Media Devices and by the Xbox.

I have thought about installing Zune like I have on my Windows 7 PC and adding all the files there.

How long ago did the copy finish?  Is there an option to re-index the files?

How long ago did the copy finish?  Is there an option to re-index the files?

The copy finished a few days ago.  I have refreshed the media library, but the missing files still do not show.

Edited by koppa

This is just a guess, but add a new account and give them/it full permissions to that folder and let's see what that account sees.

Sounds line a indexing issue to me, also. RDC into the server and using Services, restart the Search service. That should reindex the files.

Just a thought: MP4 is really just a container (at least that's my understanding). The video inside can be encoded in a number of different 'physical' formats. Perhaps your media devices are unable to recognise some of the files because of their internal format. I've run into this with some video files, and I've read posts from others who've had trouble.

I'm not saying this what's going on, but it's something you could check out. The Zune software sounds like a good way to start, since it seems to have worked really well for you in the past.

Sounds like a codec issue to me. Try pointing your media devices directly to the server share and see what shows up.

That's what I initially thought, but with all of them being .mp4's.  ????