RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L Ups

Reznorz

Hi, apologies, I did not mean to imply they are a better unit for the HP Microservers. I just wanted to note they output a true sine wave and are well made little units. I have a T750 on my current server setup and its been fantastic, very quiet and features pre failure notification, which is hard to find with other consumer grade brands. The prefailure notification gives you 30-60 day warning that the battery is "going" to fail, while most other UPS systems notify you when the battery is actually dead... Schoondoggy, you are absolutely correct, Eaton is the OEM for HPs UPS systems.

I'm using this APC model, noted in my sig:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101311

Covers my server, cable modem (and incoming coax surge suppression), router, and the external backup drive for my server.  Has USB support, which will work with Grid Junction (WHS UPS app that works great) or with PowerChute Personal (which works with WS2012E just fine, I'm using that now).  Does the job without costing a lot, and the batteries are replaceable.

Edited by LoneWolf

You raise a good point LoneWolf: batteries can be an issue. Some of the APC units, in particular, use batteries that can be difficult to find: not all of them, but some.

I generally recommend that people look for units that use standard 12V alarm system batteries. I don't know the exact dimensions off the top of my head, but they're something like 2 1/2 - 3 inches wide. around 4 inches tall, and 7 or 8 inches long. These batteries are produced by many manufacturers and are readily available. They're also produced in such vast quantities that they're pretty cheap overall.

If you have a Batteries-Plus store in your area, they will usually have these in stock, and at a good price.

Yep. If you get a UPS that uses some of the less common batteries, like some of the square models, you can end up paying more for the batteries than what you paid for the whole UPS.

Hi, apologies, I did not mean to imply they are a better unit for the HP Microservers. I just wanted to note they output a true sine wave and are well made little units. I have a T750 on my current server setup and its been fantastic, very quiet and features pre failure notification, which is hard to find with other consumer grade brands. The prefailure notification gives you 30-60 day warning that the battery is "going" to fail, while most other UPS systems notify you when the battery is actually dead... Schoondoggy, you are absolutely correct, Eaton is the OEM for HPs UPS systems.

No apologies needed, actually thank you for reminding us that the HP units are all true sine wave. Because these are Eaton units batteries are fairly easy to come by.