RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L Ups

Reznorz

Hi,

I'm the proud new owner of a n54l and was hoping someone could recommend a ups to use with it with freenas.

Cheers

The HP N54L has an Active Power (Active Power Factor Correction) Supply which means a noisy (usually cheaper) UPS (that puts out more of a square wave) will tend to burn out the PSU on the N54L (or any other machines with APFC) so I've gone with a "Pure Sine Wave" unit by CyberPower: CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS 1500VA / 900W PFC compatible Pure sine wave -- 1.5KVA is one of there larger sizes so be sure to check out what size you need for your specific application. 

• Like 1

Thanks,

That one is a little bigger than I was hoping for (and a little bit more expensive).

When you say application, I presume you mean Freenas.

In terms of hardware, it will be stock apart from the ram.

Cheers

Sorry, by "application" I was referring to your specific set-up of hardware that you are protecting.  In my use case one UPS protects two computers plus my Cable Modem, Router, Gigabit Switch and my Phone system.  If you're only protecting the N54L you can go with a smaller unit -- the important thing is the "pure sine wave" product.  CyberPower isn't the only producer that's just the one I went with.

UPS are heavy, If you have a Frys or Microcenter they tend to have good deals. 

I have had good luck with APC. Their Smart UPS products are sine wave.

I've never heard of HP making UPS. Interesting. They may be very fine units, but I would stop at any implication that they would somehow be better for an N40L or N54L. Power is power. As long as it's good, clean power the server won't care what the source is.