RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Krueger86

Will Stablebit Drive Scanner work with Drive Bender?

ikon

np :)

g725s

Curious what was not acceptable about FlexRaid?  Were you talking about the pooling or raid feature?

I've been with DrivePool since early 1.x beta days. (and the innovation is non stop)

When I switched the OS of my Mini-PC server from Windows Home Server 2011 to Windows 8, I tried both DriveBender and FlexRaid before DrivePool 2.x was available.   (they both were unacceptable to me)    I limped by a few months until Drive Pool 2.0 became available.   Things are rock solid and I've been getting over 113 MB/sec transfers over my gigabit LAN.      

But to answer your question yes, there was a point where I had BOTH DrivePool & DriveBender installed at the same time with no problems.   I remember asking both sides support if they think they would conflict and both seemed to agree they would not.

It's always interesting to see other peoples approach to drive pooling!   I didn't expect to be impressed by the new comer poolHD's demo video but it has some wow factor to it with out actually knowing what's under the hood.  Wow, After watching the video I have to say the effort they put into the "look and feel" is quite impressive right out the gate. (bravo) http://poolhd.com/Portals/0/Demo/PoolHD/PoolHD.html

JazJon

Curious what was not acceptable about FlexRaid?  Were you talking about the pooling or raid feature?

File Duplication gives you peace of mind that you can always read any drive individually.    If you're going to toy with FlexRaid you might as well just use REAL Raid.     I didn't feel comfortable replying on snap shots to recover lost drives/files.      The setup is not very intuitive compaired to drivepool for starters as well.  DrivePool you can easily disable duplication on specific folders etc.

DrivePool is fully compatible with Windows recyclebin/indexing/NTFS sharing/Standard Everything.     DrivePool's Network boost let's me transfer files across my gigabit a blazing 113 MB/Sec. 

So it's the above, plus DrivePool you never worry about not understanding what's going on exactly.  It's so simple to add/remove drives.

To top it off, I have StableBit SCANNER installed as well.  If any problems are detected on a drive it's evacuated via DrivePool.      Scanner does monthly full surface scans, chkdsk's, and constantly monitors Temps/S.M.A.R.T. data in a very simple to view GUI and eMail notifications. 

So yeah it's bee a long time since I tried FlexRaid but it seemed kind of clunky to setup.

Edited by JazJon

ikon

g725s, my interest has moved on from DriveBender to flexRAID. In the end, I wasn't able to overcome some of the issues with DB. I'm interested only in the pooling freature of flexRAID. Unfortunately, it still doesn't fit the bill -- I found out it only allows a single Storage Pool per machine, which won't suit my needs. Brahim @ flexRAID says a version that supports multiple Storage Pools is on its way, hopefully in the next month or 2.

g725s

File Duplication gives you peace of mind that you can always read any drive individually.    If you're going to toy with FlexRaid you might as well just use REAL Raid.     I didn't feel comfortable replying on snap shots to recover lost drives/files.      The setup is not very intuitive compaired to drivepool for starters as well.  DrivePool you can easily disable duplication on specific folders etc.

DrivePool is fully compatible with Windows recyclebin/indexing/NTFS sharing/Standard Everything.     DrivePool's Network boost let's me transfer files across my gigabit a blazing 113 MB/Sec. 

So it's the above, plus DrivePool you never worry about not understanding what's going on exactly.  It's so simple to add/remove drives.

To top it off, I have StableBit SCANNER installed as well.  If any problems are detected on a drive it's evacuated via DrivePool.      Scanner does monthly full surface scans, chkdsk's, and constantly monitors Temps/S.M.A.R.T. data in a very simple to view GUI and eMail notifications. 

So yeah it's bee a long time since I tried FlexRaid but it seemed kind of clunky to setup.

g725s, my interest has moved on from DriveBender to flexRAID. In the end, I wasn't able to overcome some of the issues with DB. I'm interested only in the pooling freature of flexRAID. Unfortunately, it still doesn't fit the bill -- I found out it only allows a single Storage Pool per machine, which won't suit my needs. Brahim @ flexRAID says a version that supports multiple Storage Pools is on its way, hopefully in the next month or 2.

In my reading it seems that using FlexRAID's parity protection in conjunction with Stablebit's DrivePool pooling features is the way to go.   And that is what I'm looking into doing.  Over at AVS forum it was stated that maybe over 100 users use this combo and are very satisfied.  And many more who use just FlexRAIDs parity protection alone and are satisfied with it.

And yes JazJon I think it was quite a while since you messed with FlexRAID back in 2011, am I right?  There have been a few updates since then.

JazJon

Early 2012 is when I tried FlexRaid last.   I only tried it because DrivePool 2.x wasn't out yet and 1.x only supported Home Server 2003.   I'm using regular Windows 8 on my home server these days.

You know you can set folders to have x3 duplication if you need it.    I guess using FlexRAID for parity snap shots only isn't a bad idea but I'm happy enough with just DrivePool.

Drashna Jaelre

And Alex has just added "more than x2" duplication to the UI.

That, and personally find that FlexRAID is not simple. It's very complicated at first, and definitely not meant for "average users". (Not that most of us here fall in that category)

ikon

Interesting. You probably have a lot more experience with it, but I didn't really have difficulty using flexRAID. My only issue was figuring out how to get just a Storage Pool, without RAID. I just paid a little closer attention to the text and hints on the screen and found it pretty quickly -- RTFM :).

Drashna Jaelre

What's the fun in that? It's much more fun and educational to blindly stumble your way through things. :P

It wasn't that complex to figure out, but the process wasn't exactly straight forward without something to guide you through....

But then again, it's been a *while* since I've even tried flexRAID.