RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Krueger86

Will Stablebit Drive Scanner work with Drive Bender?

ikon

ikon, that "funky long alpha-numeric" thing is called a GUID. :)

And what do you mean by "eject"? 

Very funny :P

What I mean by 'eject' is to use the System Tray icon to select and safely eject removable media, the normal thing one does before disconnecting a USB drive for example.

Drashna Jaelre

People still use that eject thing? :P

And as for how DrivePool handles it... if it's not in the pool, there is no issue. if it is... well Alex has recently added stuff to the 2.x version to quickly remove the drive from the pool.

ikon

People still use that eject thing?

Are you kidding? How do you safely remove USB drives from a system?

And as for how DrivePool handles it... if it's not in the pool, there is no issue. if it is... well Alex has recently added stuff to the 2.x version to quickly remove the drive from the pool.

You don't understand. I don't want to remove a drive from the pool. I want to eject the entire pool from the system, so I can take it off site. it's my OffSite backup. So, what I want to do is click on the System Tray, pick the DrivePool drive letter, and eject it. I then want to connect a 2nd set of OffSite backup drives and have DrivePool automatically detect it and being it online. After another backup cycle, I want to eject that DrivePool and replace it with the 1st one. Rinse and Repeat :)

So far, DrivePool is not working for this purpose, but DriveBender is, assuming I can overcome the other issues I'm having with DB. I just downloaded a new version to try. Will post results.

Krueger86

I didn't mean to start a big debate. But, Ikon I do like how you are using drivebender.

Drashna Jaelre

Are you kidding? How do you safely remove USB drives from a system?

I either don't eject the drives ever. Or set the policy for them to quick removal usually.... That or just let NTFS do it's thing and don't worry about about. As long as there isn't active IO, there isn't an issue.

You don't understand. I don't want to remove a drive from the pool. I want to eject the entire pool from the system, so I can take it off site. it's my OffSite backup. So, what I want to do is click on the System Tray, pick the DrivePool drive letter, and eject it. I then want to connect a 2nd set of OffSite backup drives and have DrivePool automatically detect it and being it online. After another backup cycle, I want to eject that DrivePool and replace it with the 1st one. Rinse and Repeat :)

So far, DrivePool is not working for this purpose, but DriveBender is, assuming I can overcome the other issues I'm having with DB. I just downloaded a new version to try. Will post results.

Ah, Did not actually know that. As for DrivePool, the pool is definitely movable. Will be recongized on a different system without an issue.

But no eject option yet. But... I suppose that could be implemented if requested. :)

ikon

My OffSite drive sets are configured for quick removal.

I used to do the "wait for no activity" thing when my OffSite drives were connected via eSATA, but I really prefer a positive action, with a confirmative response, for disconnecting drives. It's a comfort thing. :)

• Like 1

revengineer

revengineer can you give me an idea of your setup? Planning on having my OS drive and its backup seperate from the pool. Can you still scan the drives that are part of the pool?

Keep in mind that I am asking this and have not even installed either on my server yet.

Thanks.

I have overall 11 drives in my WS2012E server. 1 drive is for the OS only; WS2012E fortunately no longer partitions the OS drives. Drive 2 is for the Server Backup. I only backup the OS to this drive. Drivebender presently does not support VSS so using server backup with DB pools is not supported at this point. My main pool then consists of 7 drives currently held in 2 external USB3 enclosures. All data are duplicated in this pool. The remaining two drives are in a USB2 enclosure and are configured as a non-duplicated secondary pool. I use this pool for a separate backup of important files in the main pool, just in case something goes belly up. I use robocopy on a weekly schedule for this backup. These data are also backed up to crashplan to make data loss hopefully impossible.

Stablebit Scanner is configured to scan automatically all drives except the 2 Virual pool drives. Scanner does not care about drive letters, which DB handles for me. There is no interference of the two programs, everything works well. And why shouldn't it, scanner is read-only. I would be more worried about disk fragmentation programs, which I have running as well, also with no issues.

I noted elsewhere before that my decision to go with DB was that it was further along in February when I needed a solution. While the product has worked well for me, it is not perfect. However, I have not run into any issue where I felt my data were at danger. Like Alex at Covecube, Anthony at Division-M is extremely responsive. I had an issue with duplication of client backup folders and he provided an update to fix the issue within a week. The key is as always to submit a good bug report with the supporting log files. Finally, while division-M has a forum,which is much better than that of covecube, and the moderators are very nice, their technical knowledge is limited. Anthony does not typically participate in the forums. So you are better of to submit a ticket for any issue than hoping for your answer from the forum. The only downside is that the ticket database is private so that you cannot follow a particular issue someone else reported.

Edited by revengineer

JazJon

I've been with DrivePool since early 1.x beta days. (and the innovation is non stop)

When I switched the OS of my Mini-PC server from Windows Home Server 2011 to Windows 8, I tried both DriveBender and FlexRaid before DrivePool 2.x was available.   (they both were unacceptable to me)    I limped by a few months until Drive Pool 2.0 became available.   Things are rock solid and I've been getting over 113 MB/sec transfers over my gigabit LAN.      

But to answer your question yes, there was a point where I had BOTH DrivePool & DriveBender installed at the same time with no problems.   I remember asking both sides support if they think they would conflict and both seemed to agree they would not.

It's always interesting to see other peoples approach to drive pooling!   I didn't expect to be impressed by the new comer poolHD's demo video but it has some wow factor to it with out actually knowing what's under the hood.  Wow, After watching the video I have to say the effort they put into the "look and feel" is quite impressive right out the gate. (bravo) http://poolhd.com/Portals/0/Demo/PoolHD/PoolHD.html

Edited by JazJon

ikon

Hey JazJon, haven't seen you here in a while.

Anyway, the OP was asking about Stablebit Scanner, not Stablebit DrivePool. Scanner isn't pooling SW; it's drive scanning SW.

JazJon

Hey JazJon, haven't seen you here in a while.

Anyway, the OP was asking about Stablebit Scanner, not Stablebit DrivePool. Scanner isn't pooling SW; it's drive scanning SW.

Oh whoops! I missed that my read read StableBit DrivePool

And oh hello there :-)

Edited by JazJon