RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Krueger86

Will Stablebit Drive Scanner work with Drive Bender?

Krueger86

Title says it all. Wanting to combine the two and wondering if it will work?

pcdoc

Why would you want to do this and run the risk or compatibly issues. Do you have something you are trying to establish?  It might help if we better understood your motives.  I certainly have not tried this but I would definitely question the rationale for this.

Krueger86

Well I have already purchases two licenses for drive bender (they got me with the supposed expiring of their limited time 40% off deal) and through my limited research I have learned that it is better at dealing with USB drives and being able to mount and unmount them from a pool. But, I don't know if it will monitor the individual drive health like stablebit scanner will. Seems like the two might be independent of each other so I thought I would ask the question here because of all the knowledgeable folks that have setup their own servers.

Edited by Krueger86

revengineer

I have DB and Stablebit Scanner running on my WS2012E. I had some issues back in February when scanner was still in beta, but now everything is running smoothly. I excluded the virtual drives from the scan process.

Krueger86

revengineer can you give me an idea of your setup? Planning on having my OS drive and its backup seperate from the pool. Can you still scan the drives that are part of the pool?

Keep in mind that I am asking this and have not even installed either on my server yet.

Thanks.

Joe_Miner

Well I have already purchases two licenses for drive bender (they got me with the supposed expiring of their limited time 40% off deal) and through my limited research I have learned that it is better at dealing with USB drives and being able to mount and unmount them from a pool. But, I don't know if it will monitor the individual drive health like stablebit scanner will. Seems like the two might be independent of each other so I thought I would ask the question here because of all the knowledgeable folks that have setup their own servers.

I've had no problems with USB 2.0 and 3.0 drives using StableBit Scanner and DrivePool on WHS-2011 -- if you already have Scanner then DrivePool is just $10 -- it would be worth it to me to get the synergistic effect of the 2 products working together -- I like that if Scanner detects a drive going bad DrivePool will start moving my Data to other drives.  If you did experience some sort of problem with USB drives you can contact Alex and he will fix it.  Keep in mind also that you can try DrivePool for 30 days trial.

Back to your question though -- Scanner and DriveBender probably would "work" but you wouldn't have the synergistic linkage and if you did have problems down the road you have two companies to talk to instead of just one.

ikon

Here's my thoughts.

DriveBender offers the option for it to manager the drive letters or not -- it's a checkbox. If you check the box (the default) then DB will remove the existing drive letters from drives that have been added to the pool. The drives will no longer appear in My Computer, so I suspect Stablebit Scanner would not be able to find them.

My suspicion is, if you uncheck this box, then the drives in the pool will continue to show up in My Computer and Stablebit Scanner will be able to find and scan them just fine. No, there won't be the tight integration that there would be between Stablebit Scanner and DrivePool, but I think it should work. This is something I plan to try in the near future (a week or 2 hopefully).

JM, I contacted Alex about the USB drive ejectability before even trying DrivePool. He said he hasn't tried it but thought maybe the pool would just show up as empty. Unfortunately, the problem I ran into is that the USB drives cannot be ejected because Windows thinks at least 1 file on the drive(s) is in use. Alex, didn't offer to look into it, but I didn't pursue it with him either.

DriveBender, so far, has been about 95% reliable at ejecting USB drives, and the pool does show up as empty while the drives are missing. When the drives are reconnected, DriveBender picks them up and the pool becomes available again.

I am having other issues with DriveBender and I have a support ticket open with Division-M, so I cannot recommend it ATM.

Drashna Jaelre

Scanner doesn't care about drive letters, or mount paths or what not, actually.  All my drives are mounted to C:\FS\i## and Scanner is capable of accessing them just fine.

And yeah, you lose the integration that you'd normally get.  But Scanner is pretty good at picking drives up right away. It takes a second or 5 to process the changes, but it does grab them.

And DrivePool is kinda finicky about USB disks (or removing disks in general)... I'm not sure how Drive Bender is about that though. But from the sounds of it, they both handle things the same when a disk is missing. Though... I'm leery of using USB for long term storage of anything but backups though. Even USB3. Even on my beloved Seagate Backup Plus *enclosures.* :P  

And knowing how both products store their pool information.... I am MUCH happier with DrivePool. Alex uses Alternate Data Streams to manage the pool info and duplication info. So it's invisible to end users, but you can still access it if you know what you're doing (and to be honest, that's the *only* time you should even consider messing with that stuff!). DriveBender uses the WHSv1 method for managing it's metadata: Registry files on the drive. Ick. I had too many issues with WHSv1 using that method and I honestly couldn't recommend that ever. EVER.

Though, I love Drive Benders product page.... :)

Also, IIRC, Drive Bender has been incorporating HD Sentinel into its product to mimic Scanner basically. Again IIRC, it will show smart data and give warnings, but that's the extent so far.

ikon

DriveBender has actually been really good about ejecting USB drives. When you click on the pool's drive letter (e.g. in Windows Explorer) what is displayed is a message that the pool has no drives attached. 

As far as accessing files goes, I've had no problem at all getting at the files after yanking a drive out of the system and connecting it to another computer. The files are located inside a directory that has one of those funky long alpha-numeric names. A little unusual to find the files, but not difficult, and at least the files are all there.

DrivePool might have what could be called a nicer way to store & manage the files but, if the drives can't be ejected reliably, it isn't suitable for my purpose. I did try DrivePool first but had to abandon it.

BTW, my purpose is for backup. I need to be able to eject the drives exactly because they're part of 2 OffSite backup sets.

Drashna Jaelre

ikon, that "funky long alpha-numeric" thing is called a GUID. :)

And what do you mean by "eject"?