RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 85, what do you think ?

diehard

Hi Guys,

This week we had less time to chat so we can give you a special guest interview with Paul Thurott.

We went over a few of our favorite addins and a bit of news including some Zune stuff.

So let us know what you think ?

I thought it was great. Nice to hear that the pros out there promoting things like Carbonite et al still use something like WHS. I also enjoyed hearing about his insight on WHS v2.

Yes the talk about WHS V2 was especially interesting. I will be looking for discussions on Windows Server 2008 R2 as a result! Can't wait!

Haven't heard the entire show yet, but about your whole antivirus discussion, I was thinking what happens if a worm gets on your LAN, before your client AV catches it?

As far as my understanding goes, the worm would self populate to the computers that do not block the worm.

just a thought.

Heard the rest of the podcast, and can only say that the interview with Paul Thurrott, was great.
A little worried about some of his expectations, with the server functionality being migrated to the "desktop", but than again it makes sense, if Microsoft wanted to avoid a rebranding.

Great show by the way

Great show and enjoyed the interview with Paul. Still do not agree with the "no antivirus" debate. Mainly because of remote access (assuming you upload/download files, possibly from another computer). I do know that all my clients are protected and avg did fine two files from years ago that were infected and that made be a believer.

I enjoyed this podcast and the guest speaker as I listen to his podcast too. I don't agree with Paul on not having a anti virus program running on WHS. I personally like the added security layer as it makes me sleep well at night. I can not put my trust on one level of protection and hope for the best. I follow the idea the first layer of defense is the person behind the computer. An anti virus program is the second layer of protection in case the person behind the computer clicks on something they should not have. The third layer of defense is having a anti virus program running on my WHS. I currently use Norton Anti Virus program 10.1.5.5000 on my WHS and it runs fine. I have it setup to auto update every day and scan the hard drives every night. "Knock on Wood" nothing has not happened yet but I do my best to protect my network from viruses.

Just my $0.02.

PC Eddie