RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

TV Archive service fails to start

JonB65

After upgrading to a new 128GB SSD as my boot drive in my Windows 7 Media Center pc, I can no longer connect to my RecordedTV folder on my WHS2011 box. I did this upgrade as a bare metal restore from the backup on the WHS2011. The backup functions fine on the media center box, but when I try to use the TV Archive feature, I get the message that the transfer service is not running.

Going into Services to start it gives me the message that the service started then stopped.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Windows Connector software, but still have the same problem.

I then followed the suggestion to modify the associated config file, detailed here:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whspowerpack3beta/thread/5ec310de-fa9e-4ca5-82cf-752df8c3f419

This resulted in the transfer service not even starting and erroring out. I forget the exact error message but it certainly seemed like I was heading down the wrong path. So, I uninstalled and reinstalled the Connector software. Now I'm back to the transfer service starting then stopping immediately.

I also found this post that seemed similar, but was using WHS v1: 

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2471-tv-archive-fails/

My thoughts now are to uninstall the Connector software, rename the pc, and reinstall the Connector software and treat this as an entirely new box, hoping that it will make the connection to the Archive service. I don't see any harm from trying. I won't be deleting the backup files from the WHS2011. 

Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks for the help!

JonB65

When you say you re-installed the "windows connector", are you referring to the Media Center connector or the WHS2011 connector?

​If the later, it might be worth trying to re-install the Media Center Connector which was part of SP3 for W7.

Alternatively, move the recorded TV folder on the server to another location and see if you can then access it. 

Thanks Renny.

I reinstalled the WHS2011 Connector. I will work on figuring out the Media Center Connector and try that too.

When you say to move the RecordedTV folder on the server, that may be a challenge. I have it on my RAID5 array on drive F. I had moved it from a RAID1 that was filling up. I don't have any other drives to move it to. I can access the RecordedTV on the WHS from a different Media Center box, so I know that is working.

jmwills: He may have meant PowerPack3 for Windows Server v1.

Here's an update on my situation: I went to debug some of this tonight and tried just one more time to start the Windows Transfer Service. It started. I did not do anything differently (ok, I did close Media Center, but I thought I had done that before). I started the Service and it stayed running. Restarted Media Center and TV Archive is running. I can access my shows and am now transferring recordings to my WHS2011 box.

Now to see how long this state lasts...

Always check the dependencies of services and make sure everything is running.

I did not know to do the dependency check. If it pops up again, I will do that.

Thanks for the tip.

In theory, the dependencies are supposed to get auto-started if a service that needs them is started, but sometimes theory differs from reality.