RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS2011 first time install ...

a15457

Hi all,

I just started installing WHS2011 for the first time yesterday. I'm planning on using it primarily to back-up client machines on my home network. Look out it's the beginning of a 3-2-1 strategy.

I've set it up at the moment in a Hyper-V VM on my N40L Microserver and am planning on attaching a USB external Hard Drive to it to store the backups. What I'd like to do is eventually have two of them mirrored by the OS or some add-on so that I have two nearline copies of important data.

What I guess I'd like some hints on is what add-ons I should be looking at getting.

I do not plan on using this VM as a file server or a media centre or anything like that as I already have other solutions in place that serve my needs nicely. Just really want the back-up functionality.

Cheers all,

DAVE

:)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• jem101

• a15457

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on your first install.  I would look at Crashplan (not an add in but works great), Clouldberry works well, and so does MyMovies for cataloging  your metadata.  I also am a big fan of installing Skydrive or Dropbox on the server using a  share so all your systems can access it.

Hiya PCDoc,

Cheers for the congrats.

I use Ember Media Manager to scrape all my TV and Movies and use XBMC to watch them. planning on a couple of N40/54L's as HTPCs in the near future.

What does Crashplan and Cloudberry do?

I have a 2008R2 server that does all my file sharing for around the home and what I need outside the home I either remember to take with me on a USB HDD or RDP in from a remote location and grab it.

Cheers,

Dave

:)

Welcome as a new member of the 3-2-1 club :)

I don't use any add-ins on my WHS2011. Like you it's primarily my backup machine, but it does duty as my file server, both for data and media files. It's last function is as my Ability email server.

"What does Crashplan and Cloudberry do?"

Off site backup either to the cloud or a remote PC.

​Not strictly necessary for client backups, but another layer of protection I guess

You are able to pass through a USB to a Hyper-V host?  I don't seem to be able to remember doing that.

JMWills ... haven't done it yet, but I'm sure that I can. What I think I need to is "Disconnect" the drive from the host and then "Connect" it to the guest. I'm pretty sure that one day I saw one of my kids iPods connected to one of my guests. Anyway ... when I do get around to configuring it I'll le tyou know how I did it. Or when I work out that it "Can't" be done I'll come screaming for help! :)

Cheers Ikon! I like the club!

Thanks Renny!

:D

Without 3rd party software, my understanding is that it is not possible to pass through USB ports to HyperV VMs.