RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

UPS and Server2012E

Poppapete

My 7 year old Eaton 5110 UPS died.  It has protected my last 3 servers and had the batteries replaced only once.  As it had no usb port I had no software installed.  Paul Braren had mentioned some time ago that CyberPower had good software so I purchased their low end "Value" UPS, 2200ELCD.  DL'd the latest PowerPanel Software and installed it on the server. Never used UPS software before.  Very impressed.  I have set it to power down the server when 5 minutes of runtime left in the batteries.  It has over an hour of runtime according to the software. I have 2 larger units attached to Client Computers and routers etc.  What do others use for UPS on the Servers.

I have good luck with Cyberpower and APC but do not use a non PFC UPS as it will thrash you Power Supply.  Make sure you use a PFC/Full SIne wave UPS.  I believe the one you mentioned is not.

With APC that means sticking with the Smart-UPS line, not the Back-UPS; something like the SMC1000.

BTW pcdoc, like the new profile photo :)

I have good luck with Cyberpower and APC but do not use a non PFC UPS as it will thrash you Power Supply.  Make sure you use a PFC/Full SIne wave UPS.  I believe the one you mentioned is not.

So this means I should use Full Sine Wave UPS for all computers.  Can I use the non PFC one for modems, routers, screens?

I have 2 APC Back-UPS units for both my WS2012E and HTPC.  Both have Season PSUs.  The HTPC has an x-400 fanless and the WS2012E has a x-650 I believe that is fanless unless under load.  Have noticed any issues.

All Back-UPS models a simulated sinewave. You should check your PSUs. If they are PFC types, I would look into replacing those UPS units ASAP. Power is the core of everything; you don't want to cheap out on it.