RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

DHCP server

geek-accountant

Has anyone tried the add-in DHCP4WHS (http://www.whsplus.com/2009/04/12/dhcp-for-windows-home-server/)? I am thinking of moving DHCP off my router and onto either this add-in or to Linux run in a VM on the WHS.

My reason for moving it off my router is that I am running my router and UTM as a VM on a Xenserver. I have several versions of the router and from time to time want to switch between them. Having the router provide the addresses may cause issues (I have not actually done this yet, so I am just guessing it will) and the solution I thought of was to move DHCP off the router.

I have not used the add-on but came home to a dead system drive on my SBS server that was providing DHCP and DNS, I jumped over on the WHS box I had just recently built and installed DHCP and DNS. I installed them like I would on any 2003 Server and it worked fine for the 10 days I needed it to till I got a new drive and restored my SBS Server.

Any reason to not just RDP in and setup DHCP on WHS? Once configured it should be a set it and forget it solution.

I thought about that too, but read some where that WHS had issues with running a DHCP server. I think it was in this post (http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsdevelopers/thread/9ff85497-f374-4334-b8ee-06110b2ab3ed).

Right now I am debating running DHCP on the Ubuntu VM I have in a Virtualbox on the WHS, running Ubunutu with DHCP on my Xenserver (which has pfSense and Untangle) or building another Xenserver and run Ubuntu/DHCP and some other things on that.

OK, I decided not to use the DHCP server built into WHS and not use the DHCP server add-in. I am still running Ubuntu in a Virtualbox on the WHS, but that is mainly for testing and maybe to use kttmg (Tivo downloading, decrypting, etc program).

What I have done instead is add another virtual pfSense machine on my Xenserver computer (really easy to setup) to only be a DHCP server. So on the Xenserver I have one VM with pfSense as a router, another pfSense as a DHCP server only and then Untangle as the UTM. Works really well and by moving the DHCP functions off the firewall, I am able to load different copies of pfSense with different setups as I try different things all without messing up the local network. I can also switch between pfSense and Smoothwall just by turning one on and the other off, still without messing up the local network.

Yea, I know why would you ever want to do this? Other than the