RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

4TB drives, WHS 2011, and GPT..... again.

e_merlin

Sorry to do this, I have searched but cannot seem to find an answer.

I recently go my new 2011 server up and running - pictures coming soon.  I am trying to add 2 Samsung 4TB drives and am confused.  I have added them through the Disk Management tool on the server.  I do not see/have an option for GPT format.  I must be doing something wrong.  They did format NTFS and when I go back into the dashboard they show up as 3725.7.  Does this mean I am good?

I do have another UEFI windows 8 machine close by - so that I could throw them in there are reformat them.

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Edited by e_merlin

So you see both drives in the dashboard? Do you see both of them in the Disk Management Applet?

3725.7 MB is 4TB.

First thats because the search function for this site sucks.

Second, as jmwills pointed out 3725.7 IS 4TB. PC math vs marketing math. 

Untitled.jpg

So - I do see them both in the dashboard as NTFS drives....

DiskManager1.jpg

DiskManager2.jpg

When right clicking I have an option to convert to a "dyanmic disk".... yeah I am sure it is.  

@ - no control, thanks for the diagram.  the Celeron G1610 performs quite nice, thanks for the recommendation.

Hmmm - I guess (obviously incorrectly) they would say GPT somewhere in the drive managers properties.  Also - I just assumed I would see it as a format drive option, instead of NTFS.

Ok - Guess I am good then.

Thanks.

Like many things in Windows, if an option is greyed out, it means either the option is not applicable in the circumstance, or it means the option is not available because it's already in effect: i.e. you can't convert the drive to GPT because it already is GPT.

In this case, it can't convert to/from GPT if there is a partition on the disk

But that image looks like it wants to "convert to mbr", I can't quite tell. The image is scaled weirdly. And if it's listed as that... then it's GPT.

You could use diskpart (in a admin command prompt), and type "list disk" and that will show an asterick for each GPT disk.