RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHSv1 > WS2012E and Dont want Domain/AD Headaches

mondo

I'm in the process of migrating from WHS v1 to WS2012E running on a Microserver. I set it up a few weeks ago and everything has been fine. However, I recently replaced my router as well and now the WS2012E box can't reach the Internet (not sure the problem is directly related to replacing the router though). 

It seems to be a DNS issue. I see the following error:

"The DNS server is waiting for Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) to signal that the initial synchronization of the directory has been completed. The DNS server service cannot start until the initial synchronization is complete because critical DNS data might not yet be replicated onto this domain controller. If events in the AD DS event log indicate that there is a problem with DNS name resolution, consider adding the IP address of another DNS server for this domain to the DNS server list in the Internet Protocol properties of this computer. This event will be logged every two minutes until AD DS has signaled that the initial synchronization has successfully completed."

I'm not sure how to fix this. Any ideas?

I'd also like to add that I don't really want/need a Domain/AD, etc. I only picked WS2012E since WHS is (sadly) basically dead. My preference is to remove the client PCs from the domain after installing the connector client and just use my router for DHCP/DNS rather than WS2012E.

If I cant' figure out how to fix this DNS issue, I was thinking about restoring my server from an earlier backup, or maybe even just re-installing WS2012E from scratch. However, I am running Stable Bit Drive Pool and have three 3TBs in the Microserever. Based on what I've read, I *should* be able to reinstall the OS and Drive Pool without affecting my data, but I'm not sure I feel like testing that out...

WHS is dead? 

Is the WSE2102 box also configured as a DNS server?  If so, you only need one (the router), so remove the role.

I know, right?

And yes, WHSv1 has left mainstream support. WHS2011 still has years and yet people say it's dead already....

And jwills, No. Don't. Delete the DNS server role and you will break the active directory roles. Which will in turn break users and other core features.

. Don't. Delete the DNS server role and you will break the active directory roles. Which will in turn break users and other core features.

I run a virtual WSE with DNS coming from the router and have no issues.

Edit:  I went back and checked my configuration and I do use the router as a secondary DNS server, but you are not allowed to remove the DNS role from WSE 2012.

Did you replace the reservation in the new router to match the old configuration?  Make sure you flush the DNS cache from all clients

In a non domain situation, you can certainly run DNS from the router and not the server itself, but as the server is basically a domain controller (even if you don't use it as such), it really, really expects to have the DNS role with all the zones configured properly and - crucially, have its own IP address as it's DNS server.

So check how you have configured the IP addressing for the server. Make sure that under DNS server, you have it's own IP address or 127.0.0.1 as the first server and then the address of your router as the second.

If you want (and it would be best practice to do so) have a dig around in the DNS control panel and setup a forwarder to also point to your router and also your ISP's DNS servers.

Not having DNS properly configured is the main reason for active directory not starting properly.

John 

Not having DNS properly configured is the main reason for active directory not starting properly.

And lots of other issues as well. :)

but as the server is basically a domain controller (even if you don't use it as such),

"It is a Domain Controller"

So check how you have configured the IP addressing for the server. Make sure that under DNS server, you have it's own IP address or 127.0.0.1 as the first server and then the address of your router as the second.

"127.0.0.1 is not the server address but rather the loopback address of the server."