RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Perfect Disk 11

pcdoc

After the last podcast I went and got Perfect Disk and have been running it on both servers, a 5 drive, and a 12 drive system for almost a week now. These are both production servers and have been running perfectly for quite some time (large one for about 18 months and the small one for about 6 months). I realize that it was stated in the interview that PerfectDisk 11 does not add any drivers and will not damage your system, and that it can bring up weaknesses. That being said, here are my experiences since installing it.

Yesterday, I got home and started watching a movie that was located on the smaller server. I was not aware that PD11 was still running optimization since it is set to run at 7am and it was now 8pm and started to play a movie. Within a couple of minutes I started experiencing heavy stutter to the point it froze the movie and ultimately froze the server. After shutting all six of my computers and two servers just to get things talking again I fired up my server and found that it just was not working correctly. If the story ended here I would have been OK however several of the systems could no longer access it. Long story short, after several hours of messing with it I was forced to do a server re-install to make things well again. This is the first time I have seen my servers lock up like this. It certainly can be a coincidence and I will leave that for you own conclusion as I cannot prove it one way or the other. In terms of add-ins, all I run is Avast and that is it.

Although I can say that PD11 had anything to do with this issue, what I can tell you is I found the program more trouble than it's worth. After the initial optimization of close to two full days (which I kind of expected), I thought that it would be relatively quick beyond that as it was just maintenance, however that was not the case. After the initial two day optimizations, the daily maintenance which I set for twice a week took more than a day to run on a fairly powerful server (core i3) which I thought was way too excessive. The bottom line is I have removed it from both servers and going to skip on this one.

I hope that others are having more luck but if anyone else has had issues, please post....

Thanks for the write up pcdoc. I had decided to NOT use a defrag on my WHS, but the podcast got me thinking about again. All I was waiting for was some "real life" experiences to be posted. I haven't made a final decision, but since I was already leaning against this I am going to need to read a lot more good experiences than bad before pulling the trigger on this one.

That's too bad. I could only imagine how ticked off I would be if that happened to me. Especially since we expect our servers to just work 24.7 as they pretty much always do.

For me, PD11 has given me zero issues. I have been running it maybe a month or two now and it works flawlessly. It is set to defrag all drives once a week on Wednesdays while I'm at work. I have no idea how long it takes it, but it is done when I get home. I disabled the continues defrag, and only let it do it once a week. I have smaller file collection of maybe 1 terabyte in my completely stock ex487.

geek-account,
Do more homework as my issue might have been a series of bad timings, but definetely check it out first.

Jeffla,
I am glad it works for you as I am sure many others as well. You had yours set to exactly what I had except mine was on Tuesday. Good luck and I am glad to hear that you have had no issues.

pcdoc,

If you are interested in selling your copy of PD11, I might buy it from you. PM me a price if you are interested. Maybe I can help you recover some of your loss.

I have run Perfect Disk 2008 since it was released. I have experienced no issue running the program. I do run the program every Saturday night at 11:30 PM and it finishes Sunday Morning at about 11 AM.

I have not decided if I am going to upgrade to Perfect Disk 11.

I just received a discount coupon for Perfect Disk 11. So I decided to give it a try. I hope to see some differences between PD2008 and PD11.

PD11REVIEW is the discount value

I had been running PD10 and then just switched to PD11 several weeks ago. No problems from it so far.

Let us know if you find out any issues or causes!

I searched but found scant information on Diskeeper 2010 for WHS. I am on the fence about using one of these products and wonder how they compare?

• 1 month later...

Been a PD user for nearly 2 years. I do not schedule an optimization but rather let the program run in stealth patrol mode. This allows all other process and services to run as needed and PD only kicks in when the server is idle. Have had zero problems running it this way during the 2 years. YMMV...