RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
joem

Restore WHS 2011

tswalker

hello,

one way to access a headless system remotely like this is to boot from a WinPE built USB flash drive that has TightVNC services running and access the system remotely.  If you inject your RAID controller drivers into the build, you'll have complete access to the entire array.

I own the WD DX4000 and do this, works great.

I created an article on how to do this for the DX4000, but the same processes covered can be used for any system.. "especially" headless servers.

take a look:   http://blugged.wordpress.com/category/wd-dx4000/

part 1 covers building the WinPE USB, part 2 covers creating an auto unattended install for this particular system.

maybe some of the information I've provided there can help you out.

ikon

That's an interesting way to do it - never thought of it. Thanks for posting it.

I only wish it could take care of the situation where the server gets hung up on bootup, for example if it loses track of which drive to boot from. That's my biggest gripe with headless servers.

diehard

hello,

one way to access a headless system remotely like this is to boot from a WinPE built USB flash drive that has TightVNC services running and access the system remotely.  If you inject your RAID controller drivers into the build, you'll have complete access to the entire array.

I own the WD DX4000 and do this, works great.

I created an article on how to do this for the DX4000, but the same processes covered can be used for any system.. "especially" headless servers.

take a look:   http://blugged.wordpress.com/category/wd-dx4000/

part 1 covers building the WinPE USB, part 2 covers creating an auto unattended install for this particular system.

maybe some of the information I've provided there can help you out.

Hi tswalker,

Welcome to our forums. Now I recognise you from the WD Community site, nice to see you here. I also have a DX4000 so I'll have to give your post a try. I was hoping to install WS2012 Essentials. Does that make much of a difference in your instructions ?

Better yet I was hoping to install SBS2011 Essentials on the DX4000. Do you have any experience with SBS2011E ?

thanks.

tswalker

Hi tswalker,

Welcome to our forums. Now I recognise you from the WD Community site, nice to see you here. I also have a DX4000 so I'll have to give your post a try. I was hoping to install WS2012 Essentials. Does that make much of a difference in your instructions ?

Better yet I was hoping to install SBS2011 Essentials on the DX4000. Do you have any experience with SBS2011E ?

thanks.

thanks for the welcome!  I had lurked around here a few times and watched some of the home show videos on YT.. but really didn't have much to contribute until now I guess :)

You could absolutely use WS2012 Essentials, the builds are very similar... you would just need to use that particular ISO, and make sure you are working with the correct image index you would like to use.  I briefly mention the command to do this in the article to check the image index, but it goes something like:

C:\> dism /Get-ImageInfo /ImageFile:<path>\filename.wim

Also, when loading the image in WSIM to build your catalog, you'll be prompted for which Index to use.   The install.wim in WS 2012 standard ISO has 4 indexes, two for standard / core, and two for data center (I believe).

I don't have any experience directly with working with SBS2011E, I would imagine though the processes are very similar, just ensuring you have the correct driver versions and deployment environment on your technician computer for it.