RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
joem

Restore WHS 2011

joem

I know this has been answered probably quite often, but I can't find it in the forums or on the Web.  I should say I can find it, but there is differing information.  I am new to WHS 2011.  I just installed it on a HP Smart Server 485.  Works great.  But I just started backing up the server itself to an external drive attached to the server via eSata.  I can't find any specific information about how to restore the WHS 2011 in case the system disk dies.  I presume I would use the the system repair disc I created within WHS 2011 and that I would boot to it on another computer on the network to recover the image to a new hard disk I would install in the HP 485 since it does not have a monitor.   Any help or pointing me to the correct procedure would be appreciated.

joem

Very good!  But how would I do this on a server without a monitor?

jmwills

I'd clone a spare drive and keep it handy,

joem

OK.  I thought maybe it would be like restoring client computers over the network.  I just can put a fresh drive into any computer with the client restore disc and make a recovery via that method.

Edited by joem

diehard

There is no support from Microsoft for restoring WHS2011 headless from a backup. That's the responsibility of the OEM. It's available on Western Digital's DX4000 running Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials.

Maybe some day I'll figure it out and port that over for the MediaSmart.

Right now I use a server version of acronis to restore my MediaSmart WHSv1. You are able to start the restore program from within a RDC. But this assumes that the server is running well enough to start Acronis.

ikon

OK, assuming you are backing up only the OS drive in the server, then you should be able to remove the OS drive from the server, take it and your Repair Disk (or as I do, just use the WHS2011 install DVD) to another computer with a monitor, and restore it there.

This is one reason I like to use Server Backup to only back up the system drive.

jmwills

Ok, are you trying to restore the server or the clients?  The clients can be stored remotely, actually any client from any client.

joem

Yeah ikon.  I was out on a job and was thinking about this.  I was actually restoring a computer by the way.  And I thought why not take a new disk to another computer and install it in the computer.  Go back to the Server backup disk (that is in an external toaster) and attach it to this other computer and run the WHS 2011 disc and run the restore from there. 

Yes. Restore the Server itself from its external backup.

ikon

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. The first time I did it I was grinning pretty widely. I redid it 2 or 3 times just to confirm the procedure.