RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Help installing 2012 Essentials on new N54L

steve053

Hardware:

- N54L flashed with modified bios

- 8 Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G ram

- Icy Dock MB877SK-B in ODD

In the modified bios I use the settings to enable hot-swapping and SATA II on 4 and 5.  When I try and install Windows 2012 Essentials via an external DVD I am asked 'Where do you want to install Windows?  We couldn't find any drives.  To get a storage driver, click Load driver.'

The only drive installed is the stock 250 gig hdd in bay 1.  I doubled checked and the SATA Controller Mode is set to AHCI in the bios.

I was under the assumption that all of the drivers were included in 2012E.

In the BIOS under Advanced - AHCI Configuration I see 'Not Detected' listed for all six AHCI Ports.

That would be a problem. I would check all the cabling to the drive. Until the BIOS can see the drive, there is no way Windows Installer can see it.

I just tried one of my 3tb Red drives in the Icy Dock and the bios detects port 5.

Is there any way to tell if the motherboard is bad or if it is the cabling?

Usually, the way to test is to try different cables. Is the drive you're trying to detect in the 4-bay cage? If so, check the SFF8087 cable connection to the motherboard. Some people have had issues with it.

ikon - Thank you!  I reseated the SFF8087 cable and my drives in the 4-bay cage are now detected in the BIOS.

Glad it was operator error and not a real problem.  Really appreciate the help.

Glad to help. As I said, it's been a relatively frequent issue. Hopefully the OS will install with no issues now.