RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server Meltdown, Now I need my Client Computer Backups.

itGeeks

As the title goes, I had a WSE 2012 meltdown and ended up re-installing the OS and as luck would have it, I also need to restore some files from my old client computer backups and I am not sure if this is possible or not. I saved the old client backups but I cant seem to figure out how to restore files from it or view the contents of the backups. Is this possible and if so what steps do I have to take??

Thank you in advance,

Did you copy the backup files to the client backup folder on the server?

No I did not because I did not know if I should do that? Should I copy all the old client backups to the new client backup folder and if yes will I see these old backups threw the WSE 2012 dashboard??

Thank you for taking the time,

I wish I could give you definitive answer. Perhaps someone else can.

What I can say is, if it was my server and I had no other info available, I would make a backup of the existing client backup directory, delete all the files in the directory, then copy the old ones into it. Then I would reboot the server see if it worked.

I would also make sure I had a complete backup of the OS drive using Server Backup, so I could restore easily if it all goes sideways.

Thank you ikon, I will wait and see if others chime in with advice and if all else fails I will do what you said. I am just very nervous at this point because of all the trouble I have had over the last month with my server.

Windows Home Server 2011 Client Computer Backups VHD Extraction Tool not sure if this one will help since your using WSE2012 but it might give you some idea or ask the developer.

Thank you John, I will give it a look. As the old saying goes, The show salesmen never has a good pair of shoes. I tell my family all the time that's its important to have backups and that's y I have WSE 2012 in place but somehow I did not have a good backup plan for the server because no matter what I tried I could not restore the server.