RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JerryW

Windows Server Status v1

JerryW
Ok, Home Server Status has been renamed to Windows Server Status. This is version 1.0.0.0 for Windows 8 and W2012SE only and it is freeware. This is merely the start of a new app. It is not alpha software, barely beta, and is just a step or two from being considered final. This step is using you guys to test it out. Why have I not put out the Windows 7 version yet? Well, I am focusing on those Toast Notifications and some other items on the back-end. So, when I am comfortable with this, then the Windows 7 version isn't much different and will be released. 

So, what does it do? 

1. Tray icon (Best used if you allow it to be shown all the time)

2. Context menu for quick access to MS Launchpad items

3. Toast Notifications for backup status. (e.g.: Successfully completed, InProgress, Failed/InComplete)

4. Hovering over icon will give you current backup progress in percentage and Last Status date, time, and status of backup.

That's it! Please do not ask for additional features, as there are no plans to add anything at this time. 

** AGAIN, merely for testing but I thought I would let you guys give it a shot. 

** YOU MUST HAVE WIN8, W2012SE CONNECTOR, and .NET FRAMEWORK 4.5 INSTALLED **

FYI: Toast Notifications can sometimes be a little slower than the client!

Let me know what you think. The download link will remain available until this Sunday.

Edited by JerryW

ikon

Thanks Jerry. Sad to say, I don't have any Win8 generation systems up ATM. :(

JerryW

Thanks Jerry. Sad to say, I don't have any Win8 generation systems up ATM. :(

I'll have the win7 version up soon!!

Renny

Very generous of you Jerry, alas I am in the same boat as Ikon.

Drashna Jaelre

Glad to see this! :)

And seriously guys? I'm already *entirely* switched over to Windows 8. (with Start8).

ikon

I do have Win8 on my Surface Pro of course, but WSS won't be much use on it because I can't use WHS to back it up. Well, I can back it up but I haven't found any way to restore it from WHS.

JerryW

I do have Win8 on my Surface Pro of course, but WSS won't be much use on it because I can't use WHS to back it up. Well, I can back it up but I haven't found any way to restore it from WHS.

That poses an interesting question. I haven't done any research on the Surface Pro, other than the familiar information that is shown to most for advertising. I wonder how one goes about restoring it. Did it come with a USB stick? What ways do they recommend?

ikon

I used Macrium Reflect to back and test-restore my SP. The 'trick' was that I could only restore from a drive attached locally: i.e. I could NOT restore from a server share.

JerryW

I used Macrium Reflect to back and test-restore my SP. The 'trick' was that I could only restore from a drive attached locally: i.e. I could NOT restore from a server share.

Never used Macrium Reflect. Good product? I have always used Acronis and Paragon products in my work environment.

ikon

It was my first time using it. I found it by searching the net. It was the one that kept coming up. So I tried it and it worked, with the limitations already listed. I wouldn't say the GUI is the most intuitive I've ever used but I was able to navigate it and get it to work.