RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
SmokinOakum

Which OS with my new N54L

jmwills

Looks like it should.  Interesting

SmokinOakum

Well I decided to go with XBMC as it had the most options. My next step has been to clone all my "must haves" movies. Since I've never done this before, what do I need to do for the drives/server before I start uploading the media. Do I employ the file services. The 2X2tb drives are RAID 1 right now but that is all I have done with them. Do I need to format them? Sorry for the nOOb questions once again.

ikon

If not already done, the mirror volume needs to partitioned, formatted, and given a drive letter. You call do all that using Disk Manager. You can get to DM by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Manage.

SmokinOakum

Right now they are drive D and dynamic. Is that right? Also do I need to enable the file services for the media side of things?

ikon

That sounds good. It's Dynamic because it's a mirror -- Windows demands Dynamic for mirrors.

I can't answer your XBMC question because I don't use I, but I can say you can now copy files to D: just like to any other drive. Drag'n'Drop baby :)

SmokinOakum

First I'd like to say thank you to all of you for the priceless advice. I am loving this server! As far as I can tell there is only one piece of the puzzle left and that's what to do with the 250gb hard drive that came with the server and is currently residing in my IcyDock hooked up to the eSATA port on the back of the box. As far as my needs are concerned, I only need a backup solution for the SSD which contains my OS. I am planning on using the USB 3.0 card to do backups of the other drives.

My question is, do you think I can or should use the 250gb HDD to backup the OS, and if so, how would you go about doing it. I would just like to know the best practices on this process and utilize this drive in the best manner.

SmokinOakum

So you would not keep the 250gb HDD in the IcyDock with the SSD which has the OS? I thought I could treat it like an external HDD since it is hooked up to the eSATA. Maybe I'm confused. I got the ICyDock for just that kind of thing. To be able to backup the SSD. I have a lot to learn!

On second glance of that unit you referenced, that looks like just the right kind of external solution I need for my large drives in the cage. They are 2tb and that looks like a perfect fit.

Edited by SmokinOakum

ikon

Sure you could do that, no problem. I was really just thinking about drive space inside the chassis. If you have the IcyDock, go for it.

SmokinOakum

Ok, I think I did this right, but I would feel better if I can share. HERE is a snapshot of my first scheduled backup of the Server OS. I guess that the first backup will be a full backup and then everything after that will be incremental. Is that correct. If I have this right I can move on and start having some real fun.