RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
SmokinOakum

Which OS with my new N54L

SmokinOakum

I was thinking both of those things and looking into what I need to learn to made a media server too.

I pretty experienced with VMware. Is there huge differences in the two?

jmwills

VMWare is more hardware constrictive.

ikon

And VMware can pass USB ports.

SmokinOakum

Okay, I have a few more OS related questions and I hope you server Ninjas can help me out once again. The only thing I have done to the OS so far is mirror the two 2tb hard drives.

I have been doing a lot of reading and things are getting pretty complicated in my head. Anyway, here are my questions:

1. I have the 250 drive that came with the server that I was going to mirror the OS with but from what I'm reading that will not work. Can anyone confirm this and if that's so, what to do with that drive...backups maybe?

2. Since Windows Server 2012 doesn't have a media center, what should I be using to set up a really cool media center? I've got my video card working nicely, I just need to deployment method setup.

3. With the Hyper V in the server, what should I be reading to get the most out of the option? What are you guys doing with it?

4. Is there any advice you could give me about setting up a file server and allocating the space on the hard drives?

jmwills

You can mirror the OS with the use of a third party device like the Icy Dock adapters.  The server installation will setup the File Server role.

ikon

Besides 3rd party solutions, you could also mirror the OS drive using the BIOS, as long as you're not using the mod BIOS.

SmokinOakum

You can mirror the OS with the use of a third party device like the Icy Dock adapters.  The server installation will setup the File Server role.

Did you have an adapter you could link to. I already have THIS Icy Dock caddy

Besides 3rd party solutions, you could also mirror the OS drive using the BIOS, as long as you're not using the mod BIOS.

I have already modded the BIOS

jmwills

Look for the adapter that hold 2 x 2.5" drives.

SmokinOakum

Yeah, I think I found it. I guess that would have to replace my current Icy Dock?

Also, for the media server side of things, would this METHOD work?