RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
SmokinOakum

Which OS with my new N54L

ikon

Agreed. I really can only see running Enterprise at home as a learning/skills maintaining exercise for what you do at work.

a15457

Glad to have you. I consider this a community first and a tech resource second. Good bunch of people here IMHO.

^^^ What He Said!!! :)

Dave

:)

LoneWolf

I echo most people's sentiments here, with one caveat.

If you want to play with email serving tasks at all, SBS 2011 is still available and has Exchange 2010 bundled into the server.  Server 2012 has done away with the concept of bundling Exchange with any version, meaning you'd need to add on Exchange 2013 if you wanted to go this route.  A number of our clients are still going with SBS2011 boxes while they can for this reason; for small-to-medium businesses, it really is ideal.

If you don't need/wish to play with mail, then Server 2012 is the way to go.

SmokinOakum

Yeah, I think if I do have a need to play with mail I'll go with 2013. Such is life while in school for IT. Good Ol MSDN network give us a lot of free wares while we're in school.

Drashna Jaelre

I echo most people's sentiments here, with one caveat.

If you want to play with email serving tasks at all, SBS 2011 is still available and has Exchange 2010 bundled into the server.  Server 2012 has done away with the concept of bundling Exchange with any version, meaning you'd need to add on Exchange 2013 if you wanted to go this route.  A number of our clients are still going with SBS2011 boxes while they can for this reason; for small-to-medium businesses, it really is ideal.

If you don't need/wish to play with mail, then Server 2012 is the way to go.

I'll half agree with this. There is a reason they've done away with Exchange... A large part because the supported solution is to run it on a separate machine, virtual or otherwise.

I'd highly recommend install Standard, and then create an Essentials VM, and an Exchange VM, if you want that set up. It will serve you better.

LoneWolf

I'll half agree with this. There is a reason they've done away with Exchange... A large part because the supported solution is to run it on a separate machine, virtual or otherwise.

I'd highly recommend install Standard, and then create an Essentials VM, and an Exchange VM, if you want that set up. It will serve you better.

While I don't disagree with that, SBS2011 is an inexpensive way to get Exchange experience if you're using the Microserver as a learning tool.  And as a single-server solution for small business, it's what works for a lot of people.

Best practices work well with Exchange when you have the money for them.  Small business doesn't always work that way.

jmwills

SBS 2011 requires 16GB of RAM, correct?  And as we all know, the MicroServers are a little finicky when it comes to that much RAM running consistently.

Now, having thrown that out there, I think that SBS is THE BEST product EVER to come out of Redmond,

SmokinOakum

Well I have Windows 2012 Standard installed and have configured my laptop and iPad to remote connect to the server. What are some good things to start out with as far as configuration? I must admit, I'm a little thrown off by the GUI.

jmwills

Hyper-V

ImTheTypeOfGuy

and file server