RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
SmokinOakum

Which OS with my new N54L

SmokinOakum

I thought I would see if I could get some more priceless advice from you masters out there. I am building this box for a testing bed for VMs and to also preform some file sharing duties. I've also thought about a media center on down the road. I have 16BG of ram, a 128BG SSD, the stock 250GB HD that came with the box and 4 2TB WD reds.

My question is which OS should I go with. I have the ability to have any OS I wish. Price is not a concern as I have a inside connection and it's my birthday today. So with that being said, what would you choose and why? Thanks again.

jmwills

To be most flexible test environment possible, I'd go with Server 2012 as the base OS with which you can utilize the Hyper-V feature.  ESXi is going to be more hardware constrictive, especially in the area of storage.

SmokinOakum

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing but I wanted to see if you guys thought it would be overkill or unnecessary. I'm in school for industrial technology in IT and there is a great need to play with the up to date software.

So now comes the question of which flavor of Server 2012. My gut tells me 2012 datacenter. Is that the distro that would give me all the tools to really be in the thick of things?

a15457

Sure would but with only "one" box to play with I believe that a load of the features on that release would be redundant. As for my experience I'm running 2K8 R2 enterprise with Hyper-V with another 2K8R2 server virtual and a Windows 7 pro virtual machine. I also only have 8 Gig of ram in my N40L. But these all seem to run just fine together. I'm thinking of setting up a WHS Virtual to play with the backup features of that product. I initially tried to set up ESXi on my N40L, but I failed at reading the hardware compatability tables and bought the wrong RAID card. anyway ... I'm sure that Server 2012 will do you just fine no matter which release you end up using. :)

Cheers,

Dave

:)

ikon

Echoing the others, I think Server 2008r2 or 2012 would do fine, and I think DataCenter is overkill - it really is designed for, well, a datacenter, where, you know, there are lots of servers. :)

SmokinOakum

So maybe just Server 2012 Standard? I need to do some more reading I guess.

ikon

I think Standard would be a good choice.

SmokinOakum

Thanks guys. I think I feel much better about this build since I joined here. I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot of time here just talking shop.

ikon

Glad to have you. I consider this a community first and a tech resource second. Good bunch of people here IMHO.

jmwills

Standard will be fine for what you need and since you are limited on the RAM, no need to go Enterprise.