RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Drive Died in HP Smart Server

joem

I have a drive that tripped smart in my HP Smart Server 485.  The option to remove it from the pool is grayed out.  Can I just shut off the server and remove it without damaging the pool?  It has indicated in the health status that it had two sectors it could not relocate.  Thanks for giving me a procedure for doing this correctly.  But the drive is dead it appears.  The other three drives are OK. 

It's a bit of an unknown when this happens. To reduce issues, it's always good to have folder duplication set on all shared folders and to either use the hack to duplicate the PC backups database or use the BDBB backup addin, and/or backup the shares. Because once you forcibly remove the drive, you could loose the PC backup database if it was on that drive. Also you loose the files that were not duplicated.

Once you power off your server and remove the drive, then power up, you will start to see some "file missing error" You will have to go into the Console and remove the missing drive. Since the drive is physically not there, the wizard should complete.

Did you backup your PC backup database with the BDBB addin ?

Do you have duplication on all the Shared Folders ?

Do you backup the Shared Folders ?

If (should) you get missing file errors, let us know.

John.

Did you backup your PC backup database with the BDBB addin ?  NO.   I couldn't figure it out a couple of years ago.

Do you have duplication on all the Shared Folders ?  Yes

Do you backup the Shared Folders ?  Yes

What I did was delete computers that I didn't need anymore and am cleaning up the database so I would have enough room on the 3 drives left.  Also I will follow the advise to power off and remove the drive.....start and just see what happens.  I'll report back as soon as I can.  Thanks.  (But my data is backed up)

(But my data is backed up)

Good man. This means you can do almost anything without worry. The one exception is your client backups. I would look into getting them backed up before you do anything more.

You are correct ikon.  I only have one client computer backup on this server now.  My wife's XP laptop.  No big deal. I will image it with Macrium relflect.  Anyway it turns out the drive with SMART tripped is the OS drive.  I am not sure, but since I have nothing to lose,  I am going to let Spinrite run on it.  Then depending on what happens I will clone the drive to a  good disk and see what happens.  Otherwise I may reinstall WHS v1 on it, or Winbdows home server 2011.  I already have one of those HP microservers with Windows Server essentials 2012, which is magnificent I might add.  Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated. 

The drive is dead.  Spinrite gave me the red screen of death for that drive.  I think I will install Windows Home Server 2011 on the old HP Smartserver 485.