RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Moving OS disk & additional raid array help

Raas

Hi All,

I've had my N40L for about 6 months and am just getting to the point where more space is needed.

Due to setup issues I reverted to using the standard BIOS and installed WHS2011 on the stock 250GB drive in SATA bay one. For storage I have two WD Green 2TB drives in bays two and three mirrored using hardware RAID 1.

So I'm thinking about moving the OS drive to the ODD port and bay, then add in two WD Green 3TB drives into bays one and four as an additional mirrored array.

My high level list of tasks are:

1) flash BIOS with modified version

2) Move OS drive to ODD port and bay

3) Select this drive as primary boot device

4) Slot in additional drives into bays one and four

5) Build mirrored array.

I'm hoping others have tried to modify a build like this, I can't be the first so I'd really appreciate any helpful tips or gotchas to watch out for.

Thanks,

Raas

What RAID Card will you be using?  The mod BIOS does not allow for RAID from the MOBO, unless I am mistaken.

jmwills is correct. If you flash the mod BIOS the onboard RAID will be unusable, and you would lose your existing mirror.

I'm curious as to why you want to use the mod BIOS. Is there a reason you don't just move the OS drive and then add the 3TB drives?

Also, AFAIK, you can physically move the mirror drives to bays 1 & 2 if you like. I haven't tried it with a MicroServer but it works on almost all the systems I have tried. Normally, the system identifies each drive by its signature and figures out how to use it. For example, I have 2 Lian-Li EX503 external enclosures. As a test, I actually put the 4 drives of a spanned volume into the enclosure all mixed up (instead of 0, 1, 2, 3, I inserted them in 3, 0, 2,1). The firmware figured out what was going on and the volume was totally useable.

Before trying to move the drives, make sure you have at least 1 verified backup, preferably more.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm glad you both mentioned the onboard RAID issue, I hadn't realised that was the case with the mod BIOS. Other than unlocking some cool little bits and pieces my main intention was to speed up the ODD port for the OS drive.

I can't remember the onboard mirroring interface from memory, would an additional mirror work across bays one and four or do they need to be adjacent?

If so, in your opinion is it a simple case of plugging the OS drive into the ODD port and reselecting the primary drive in BIOS, before building a new array?

If you ensure you have a good backup, then you can try pretty much anything without fearing data loss - it's a great feeling :)

That said, I do suspect you will be able to mirror the drive 1 & 4 slots. And I also suspect it is as simple as you postulate.

• 1 month later...

Moved the 250Gb disk to the ODD bay and port. Added the two extra 3Tb disks to bays 1 and 4. Built the new RAID 1 array. Converted the new drive to GPT in WHS and assigned to a drive.

All good, thanks again.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for asking here, i didn't want to start a new thread since my question is similar to OPs, does that means that the HP Microservers raid controller supports multiple raid configurations?

I have a HP Microserver N36L with 2x500GB drivers in RAID1 configuration and I want to add 2x1TB drives in a new RAID1 array (without touching the other drivers), can i do that?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by phantolino