RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L and Icy Dock install

SmokinOakum

Hello to all. This is my first post and I am excited to be a part of the discussion. I have just ordered the HP ProLiant G7 N54L and the ICY DOCK MB971SP-B to fit the included 250GB hard drive and a 128GB SSD. I am new to the server world and I need some guidance on how to install the icy dock. The biggest questions are, will I have all the connectors that come with the Icy Dock to make all the connections to the motherboard. I plan on mirroring the two drives for the OS so from I've read I'll need to do the BIOS Mod and use the SATA ports 4 and 5. I'm sure once the box gets here and I put an eye on it things will become more clear but I always like to have a plan in place. I was kinda hoping there was some type of guide for doing this project but I can't seem to find it.

I'm very grateful to be with so many experts with these types of boxes. Thanks in advance!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• Joe_Miner

• Just Checking

• SmokinOakum

Thanks for the quick reply Joe_Miner. I did see that thread but I was unsure about the cables. It listed a 18” SATA Cable and an eSATA to SATA cable as cables used. I'm kinda grey on the differences and their uses. Do I need to two different kinds or can both drives be connected using one option. Sorry if I sound unsure of myself...I am!

·

Hello SmokinOakum,

I just bought the N54L and followed Joe_Miners directions,  He does have a parts list that you will need to acquire since the ICYDock does not come with any sata cables, esata to sata adapter cables, or the 4-pin molex to 15-pin sata power cable adapter.  Read his article more carefully and look at the pictures - it answers all the questions you will have.  Be sure to order the cables and parts right away or you will be frustrated unless you have those parts just lying around. This was my first computer build ever and I managed the Bios-Mod and ICYDock install without problems.

http://homeservershow.com/the-icy-dock-5-25-hot-swap-drive-caddy-for-a-2-5-and-a-3-5-sata-drive-duoswap-mb971sp-b.html

Joe_Miner is a great resource and has been willing to answer my most inane questions (like - "Where is the sata port #5 that is supposed to be on the front of the board" - 3 cm back from the edge to the right of the battery). 

BTW.  It's not the hardware which will cause you problems.  Figuring out how to load an OS, firmware updates, and drivers without an OD that required me to do the research. I also had difficulty when I tried to install an OS on the SSD by putting the SSD in an external enclosure connected to my PC with an OD.   I never could get that to work properly so I ended up just putting the OS on a flash drive and loading it onto the SSD after I had installed that in the server.  

I must be dense but I'm still a bit confused as to what cables I need. I get the 4-Pin Molex to SATA 15-pin Power Cable, but what kinds of cables do I need to connect the hard drive? That article lists a SATA to eSATA and a SATA Cable? I just don't want to make any mistakes. Not that I won't anyway!

Edited by SmokinOakum

This is actually probably simpler than you imagine. There are basically 3 kinds of SATA connecting cables:

• SATA to SATA
  • eSATA to eSATA
  • SATA to eSATA

The only difference is in the connectors at the ends.

For this build you need 1 SATA to SATA cable and 1 SATA to eSATA cable. The SATA to SATA cable will be used to connect a drive to the internal SATA port that's located just under the front corner of the drive cage, and the SATA to eSATA cable will be used to connect a drive to the eSATA port on the back of the chassis.

Hope that helps.

BTW, I wouldn't worry too much. The worst case scenario is you wind up with an extra SATA cable of one sort or another :)