RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

QNAP TS-269L

jsox

I'd love to use something that I already own as the device connected to my TV. Such as a Roku or a Boxee Box.

My DVD rips are of files to the VIDEO_TS folder structure, which I currently store on my WHS 2011. Currently I watch them with a Popcorn Hour box, but that does not handle Netflix.

cskenney

Maybe be slightly getting off topic here but it's a good discussion.

Roku is not able to handle ripped DVD files as these are MPEG-2.  My understanding is they don't have the license to handle it.  There is some mixed success with using Plex to stream the Video_TS file to the Roku but it isn't supported and you don't retain any of the DVD menus, etc.

I know nothing about the Boxee Box other than i believe it may already be obsolete.

I did see mention that the Popcorn Hour box may be able to handle DVD rips directly....but alas I don't own one of those either.

Here is something to consider.  if you are really interested in this QNAP box I believe it has the ability to handle the ripped DVD file structure in HD Center.  The only issue is you have to have the QNAP located with the TV because it is the media player with HDMI output.

Regarding QNAP's statements about DVD and Blu-Ray rips.  I believe they were trying to indicate that the file transfer rate from these boxes is capable of handling multiple HD streams (to a device like a HTPC).

I will continue to dig into it to see what I can come up with but I don't think you are going to get DVD file structure on the Roku or Boxee.  Let me know if I am wrong.

jsox

Boxee plays DVD rips but not usefully. They re-buffer ever 10 seconds or so. Implementing NFS on the WHS 2011 server did not help. I gave up on that.

Roku with Plex was a hope. I implemented a Plex server on an XP desktop with plenty of power, then bought the client for an Android tablet.  I could not get it to work and gave up on that.

Popcorn Hour absolutely handles ripped DVDs from WHS (V1 or 2011) and preserves all menu options, etc. This is what I am using now. But the PH does not handle Netflix so I must have a separate box for that, and I'd rather have just one.

Putting the QNAP next to the TV is not an option I'd prefer. Not for esthetics so much as that I don't want family members interacting directly with the QNAP; I'd prefer they use a client (e.g. Roku).

Well, as you get a chance to test I'll read your reports.

Different question: Does the QNAP client encrypt data while syncing with the cloud at home feature?

cskenney

Different question: Does the QNAP client encrypt data while syncing with the cloud at home feature?

If you are asking about Qsync there is an option to connect to the account on the NAS using HTTPS which is secured with encryption.

awraynor

I'd love to use something that I already own as the device connected to my TV. Such as a Roku or a Boxee Box.

My DVD rips are of files to the VIDEO_TS folder structure, which I currently store on my WHS 2011. Currently I watch them with a Popcorn Hour box, but that does not handle Netflix.

My jailbroken ATV2 handles folder rips and Netflix just fine.