RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

QNAP TS-269L

Nnyan

Nice! Love the new forum ;  ).  I should be getting my TS-EC1679U-RP soon.

cskenney

Nice! Love the new forum ;  ).  I should be getting my TS-EC1679U-RP soon.

Wow, that is a big unit.  What made you select that one? 

Dave

Chris is back and has more on the TS-269L.  I'll be talking with QNAP at CES 2014 if anyone has questions for them.

QNAP TS-269L Review and News

cskenney

Take a look at the latest article and read the upcoming topics at the bottom that I plan to cover.  If you have any questions ahead of time post them here and I will do my best to try and answer them in the write ups.

jsox

I am intrigued by the video service comments in the CES coverage. The QNAP site mentions "ripped" BluRay and DVD media as well. If you can test its ability to stream file-structure ripped DVDs (e.g. still have the menu structure, language choices, etc.) I would be interested in seeing your results.

cskenney

I am intrigued by the video service comments in the CES coverage. The QNAP site mentions "ripped" BluRay and DVD media as well. If you can test its ability to stream file-structure ripped DVDs (e.g. still have the menu structure, language choices, etc.) I would be interested in seeing your results.

I need a little more information so I am sure I understand what you are asking about.

Video Service from CES coverage.  Was this in reference to the video surveillance capability?

I see where the QNAP site mentions ripped BluRay and DVD media.  I am assuming the ripped movies are only stored on the NAS and something has to pull the movies off.  Do you have a particular scenario in mind? 

jsox

The CES coverage from last year talked about something akin to a "my youtube" capability but didn't go into any details. The QNAP site under Applications mentions Video Station, and DVD ISO files. I want to be able to view ripped DVDs VOBs, etc.) as if the DVD were in a DVD player. To have the menues and selections (language, special features, etc.) available to a consumption device (other than an HTPC). So I am curious whether or not the QNAP applications will do that.

ikon

"other than an HTPC".... ooh, now that's more of a challenge :)

cskenney

The CES coverage from last year talked about something akin to a "my youtube" capability but didn't go into any details. The QNAP site under Applications mentions Video Station, and DVD ISO files. I want to be able to view ripped DVDs VOBs, etc.) as if the DVD were in a DVD player. To have the menues and selections (language, special features, etc.) available to a consumption device (other than an HTPC). So I am curious whether or not the QNAP applications will do that.

Ok, there is an application called Video Station (as you mentioned).  I will install it and see what it is able to do.

There are a couple different ways to interpret what you are asking for the Blu-ray and DVD rips.  Are you thinking the consumption device is the QNAP device itself? It does have some capability using HD Station and the built in HDMI output.  It uses XBMC as the interface.  If that is what you are talking about I plan to dig into that soon.  I have played a little bit with it already and I have mixed feelings on XBMC from some previous testing I did.

If you are trying to consume the rips (or ISO files) using a separate non-HTPC device then that will be more difficult for me since I don't have a device of this type that I am aware of.  Actually I might be able to use one of my old SageTV extenders to pull directly off the NAS but that hardware is obsolete now.  Still, it might be a valid test to try.