RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Tech Support Scam-Still at it

pcdoc

Guest no-control

curious I wonder what the end game was...access to the system or infection. Access makes sense, but not sure what else they could obtain outside of personal info that could monetize the endeavor. Its a pretty clever way to build a quick botnet via voluntary infection. I'm tempted to setup a sand-boxed system and go to the web address to see what happens.

Other examples have shown they take control, get you to load a payment web site (papay), capture you data and get paid at the same time.

Yeah, I've gotten these calls too. One time I also played along. The guy on the other end berated me for wasting his time!!! :o  :angry: 

I've warned every one I know and have actually gotten a few calls from people saying they also got the call. My mother was called -- she doesn't own a computer! :D

But aren't you totally impressed that they can diagnose problems with computers than don't even exist? Must be some of that East Indian mysticism :D

Good point, I guess that is a real talent.  Maybe if they call back you can have them send one to here first, then they could fix it...

Guest no-control

Hey I just received a notification from your operating system.....seems there are some critical errors in the event viewer. And you should get the USB drive I sent last week as well can you plug that in and run the executable file. Also I 've mailed you a check for $500 can you collect and repair 25 laptops and I'll pay you another $5000 for your time.

Thanks sport!

Just pity the poor souls who do fall for this.  I posted Doc's article on my FB page.....because you never know.

This seems to be a world wide issue at the moment. Just play along then halfway through just say "i'm using windows 3.1 does that make a difference".