RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My first server project

Infiniti

A standard CPU heat sink should be fine unless you are planning on overclocking the CPU. If you are going to be doing transcoding you may want to go with an i5.

I'd stay away from RAID and use the StableBit DrivePool Add-in. You can turn on folder duplication if you need it. I backup my system drive and client backups to the server backup drive. I have a 120GB SSD System Drive, 1TB Client Backup Drive and 2TB Server Backup Drive. My recorded TV is on a 9TB DrivePool. Can you say video hoarder :) I wouldn't back this up but my wife would have a fit if I lost her home improvement shows. I have another 9TB DrivePool on my Main Computer. I use SyncToy running as a task to sync the two.

I don't trust cloud services. I use two Server Backup Drives and rotate them once a week. The one I keep in my van is encrypted with BitLocker. BitLocker can be enabled on the Server.

Edited by Technogod

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I always wanted to build a home server and finally I decided to build one :). I'm planning to build a very basic server for now until I get used to windows home server 2011 and then I'll

be upgrading it slowly.

The parts I have so far are:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H rev 1.0
CPU:              Intel I3 3220T
Ram:              Patriot intel extreme masters 8GB PC3-12800C9 1600MHz

CPU cooler:    Standard cooler for now but i'll be buying Noctua NH-C14

Case:             Cooler master sniper for now but i'll be buying a Fractal define R4

PSU:               Cooler master 1000W (I know it's over kill but i'll change it asap for a Seasonic fanless 460W platinum)

HDD for OS:   Hitachi 160GB

There are 2 other things which I haven't decided yet, the OS and the HDD for storage. Maybe you can give me some advice, please.

The server will be used for backups and media streaming for a large movie collection. As for the storage drives I'm planning for 2 x 3TB in RAID 1 for now, in the future I would like to have a RAID 6 configuration which mean I'll be buying a raid card.

I've been looking at the WD reds, maybe you can give me some advice.

Thanks

I would go with the REDs or if you want a bit more performance go with the Seagate 7200.  The mirror will be fine but as others have stated you need to address backup.  I would add one more 3T green/red for backup as well as look at something like crash plan.

http://thedocsworld.net/backup-strategy/

A standard CPU heat sink should be fine unless you are planning on overclocking the CPU. If you are going to be doing transcoding you may want to go with an i5.

I'd stay away from RAID and use the StableBit DrivePool Add-in. You can turn on folder duplication if you need it. I backup my system drive and client backups to the server backup drive. I have a 120GB SSD System Drive, 1TB Client Backup Drive and 2TB Server Backup Drive. My recorded TV is on a 9TB DrivePool. Can you say video hoarder :) I wouldn't back this up but my wife would have a fit if I lost her home improvement shows. I have another 9TB DrivePool on my Main Computer. I use SyncToy running as a task to sync the two.

I don't trust cloud services. I use two Server Backup Drives and rotate them once a week. The one I keep in my van is encrypted with BitLocker. BitLocker can be enabled on the Server.

I don't trust the intel coolers, here in Malta it get very hot in summer and I don't want to risk it. As for the RAID I think it's safer, raid 6 provides fault tolerance up to two failed drives. I think its better then having an extra 9TB and more cost effective in my opinion, but thanks for the info technogod.

I would go with the REDs or if you want a bit more performance go with the Seagate 7200.  The mirror will be fine but as others have stated you need to address backup.  I would add one more 3T green/red for backup as well as look at something like crash plan.

http://thedocsworld.net/backup-strategy/

Hi pcdoc, I real like your backup strategy. Maybe i'll do something like that in the future, but first I want to build and learn more about servers. I'll be adding 2 more larger drives for backup in the future. Can I ask you a question: what is the difference between WD and Seagate in performance and noise.

Thanks

I don't trust the intel coolers, here in Malta it get very hot in summer and I don't want to risk it. As for the RAID I think it's safer, raid 6 provides fault tolerance up to two failed drives. I think its better then having an extra 9TB and more cost effective in my opinion, but thanks for the info technogod.

Hi pcdoc, I real like your backup strategy. Maybe i'll do something like that in the future, but first I want to build and learn more about servers. I'll be adding 2 more larger drives for backup in the future. Can I ask you a question: what is the difference between WD and Seagate in performance and noise.

Thanks

The seagates run a bit hotter (7-10F), draw a bit more power (about 2 watts) and are about 15-20% faster that the RED/Green drives.  As for noise the WD are almost inaudible.  The Seagates you can hear the seek and access very clearly but in a case tucked away it is not an issue.

• Like 1

The seagates run a bit hotter (7-10F), draw a bit more power (about 2 watts) and are about 15-20% faster that the RED/Green drives.  As for noise the WD are almost inaudible.  The Seagates you can hear the seek and access very clearly but in a case tucked away it is not an issue.

I'll be keeping the server in my room for now (so I keep an eye on it :)), so i'll prefer the WD. That's all I wanted to know, even if I lose a bit of performance. I want the server to be quit, low power consumption and run cool. Thanks pcdoc.

I put this cooler on my latest i5 CPU build. I find it works really well: http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/cpu/57/.html?c=2181

I prefer a low profile cooler, I think I'll stick with the Noctua NH-C14.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again, finally I have my server running, here are some pictures:

server007.jpg

server010.jpg

server011.jpg

So I had a few hiccups installing the OS. First it asked me to install the network drivers. The Intel drivers weren't work so I searched and found a post from Joe_Miner which fixed the problem. Thanks Joe. After I installed the drivers I restarted the system. The system booted and continued configuring until an error came up for a few minutes

phototrv.jpg

after that it just kept on configuring as normal.

Then I started installing the drivers in the following order:

1. Intel INF installation v9.3.0.1021

2. Intel Management Engine Interface v8.1.0.1263

3. Atheros LAN driver v2.1.0.7

4. Realtek Function driver vR2.70

5. Intel VGA driver v15.28.4.2843

6. Intel USB 3.0 driver v1.0.5.235 (Couldn't install)

The speaker icon was diabled so I tried re-installing the driver. After the install, it started BSOD every time it boots up and randomly. So I reformatted the system, but this time I installed the VGA driver before the realtek driver. After I installed the realtek driver it started BSOD just like before. SO I reformatted again  :angry: but this time the realtek and VGA drivers were not installed and everything is fine. As for the USB 3.0 driver, it couldn't install. Maybe someone can tell what is the problem or what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

Edited by cskenney
moderator embedded pics

There appears to be a ton of room behind that board.

Why would you need the sound service running?