RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My first server project

Infiniti

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I always wanted to build a home server and finally I decided to build one :). I'm planning to build a very basic server for now until I get used to windows home server 2011 and then I'll

be upgrading it slowly.

The parts I have so far are:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H rev 1.0
CPU:              Intel I3 3220T
Ram:              Patriot intel extreme masters 8GB PC3-12800C9 1600MHz

CPU cooler:    Standard cooler for now but i'll be buying Noctua NH-C14

Case:             Cooler master sniper for now but i'll be buying a Fractal define R4

PSU:               Cooler master 1000W (I know it's over kill but i'll change it asap for a Seasonic fanless 460W platinum)

HDD for OS:   Hitachi 160GB

There are 2 other things which I haven't decided yet, the OS and the HDD for storage. Maybe you can give me some advice, please.

The server will be used for backups and media streaming for a large movie collection. As for the storage drives I'm planning for 2 x 3TB in RAID 1 for now, in the future I would like to have a RAID 6 configuration which mean I'll be buying a raid card.

I've been looking at the WD reds, maybe you can give me some advice.

Thanks

Hello and welcome.

WHS 2011 will serve your needs just fine.  You've addressed storage but nothing for server backups as those need to be on a dedicated drive.  The MOBO and CPU look to be fine for this project.

• Like 1

I will offer this advice in regards to HDD choices.  Each person has their own personal preference and that usually determines what they use.

If you are comfortable with the REDS then use them.  if you are looking for opinions on drives then look at this thread. http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5355-drive-reliability-and-fail-rates/

• Like 1

To add to what cskenny said, whatever you choose, try and make the array from the same make and model.  Each brand has it advocates and detractors.

I echo what the others have said, particularly the part about backup. There is quite a bit of info on this site regarding backup; highly recommended.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your response.

Hello and welcome.

WHS 2011 will serve your needs just fine.  You've addressed storage but nothing for server backups as those need to be on a dedicated drive.  The MOBO and CPU look to be fine for this project.

I just tried the Windows Home Server 2011 demo, and I was impressed. It looks easy and very user friendly. As for the server backups, I didn't think of it. But I have 2 spare seagate 500GB somewhere  :unsure:, i'll use those for backups for now. Thanks for the tip jmwills.

For the storage drives, I'll try the WD Reds 3TB, will see what happens. Thanks cskenney for the link.

And I want to thank ikon as well, I read a few threads on the forum and I came across an interesting one regarding an external enclose for server backups.

One more thing, what drivers should I use for WHS 2011?

Thanks again guys for you help.

Drivers?  All of those will be included with the OS install, but it is sometimes helpful to have those available on removable media, particularly the NIC card drivers.

Don't forget to think about getting that data to the cloud as well.  Products like CrashPlan are a must to get your data to a remote location.  Much overlooked.

As far as drivers go, start with the one's that WHS2011 loads standard   If you have issues, look at the drivers first.  You might have to got to the product site to get the right ones.  None of them will mention WHS 2011 by name.  Most many not even have Windows Server 2008 drivers.  You might have to poke around to find the right one.  Drop a note here if you get stuck.

Sorry, I meant to say the chipset, vga and other motherboard drivers. Should I use the windows 7?

i checked on the gigabyte site but there was no server drivers available.

Don't forget to think about getting that data to the cloud as well.  Products like CrashPlan are a must to get your data to a remote location.  Much overlooked.

As far as drivers go, start with the one's that WHS2011 loads standard   If you have issues, look at the drivers first.  You might have to got to the product site to get the right ones.  None of them will mention WHS 2011 by name.  Most many not even have Windows Server 2008 drivers.  You might have to poke around to find the right one.  Drop a note here if you get stuck.

Thanks Jcollison, i'll look into that.