RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can I expand or dissolve RAID1 without losing data?

JonB65

(Moved from the WHS topic)

I'm running WHS2011 with a HighPoint 2720SGL. 

I have two 2TB drives in a RAID 1 configuration, and the remaining six 2TB drives are in a RAID5 to store video rips.

My server backups are going to the RAID1 array, along with my docs, data, photos. The drive has 650GB left and is no longer accepting backups from one of my computers.

I'm in the process of moving the backup folder to the RAID5 array so I can get my backups going again, but was wondering if there was a way to grow the RAID1 array.

My thought/question is: Can I somehow replace one of the 2TB drives with a 3TB drive, let it copy everything from the 2TB drive, then replace the remaining 2TB drive with a 3TB drive and end up with a RAID1 array of 3TB?

Alternately, can I delete the RAID1  configuration via the HighPoint GUI and have two separate data drives of 2TB each without losing the data?

Thanks for any advice!

I don't own a 2720, so I'm not sure about growing the RAID1; pcdoc is your man for that.

However, I can say that it should always be possible to break a RAID1 mirror without losing data. If you think about it, it has to be possible. If it wasn't, what would be the point of a RAID1? I mean, breaking a mirror is exactly the same as having 1 drive of the pair die. The only difference is that breaking a mirror normally leaves you with 2 drives that are readable.

Guest no-control

You cannot grow a mirror you would need to create a new one. How you go about that is up to you. Break it or side by side deployment.

Yep, two more drives will be needed.  Take the two with one of the RAID1 drives and create the RAID 5.  The other RAID1 drive will still hold the original data, but be sure you can access it before proceeding.

No backups?

"Ttheoretically" the 2720 can migrate from one RAID type to the other without losing data (OCE/ORLM).  Refer to the manual on RAID level migration (page 56).  I have not yet tried this from an RAID 1 to a RAID 5.  Two things I would do, contact Highpoint to make sure the manual is interpreted correctly, and second is have a good backup.  The instructions are very clear that you can do this with the 2720 but does not give any parameters..

Thanks for the responses. I have temporarily put off this effort by moving my client backup folder from my 2TB RAID1 to my 10TB RAID5. I should be good for a while. As always, I appreciate the education you guys provide!