RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

UPS Recommendations

PCEddie

Good Morning,

I am looking for UPS recommendations to replace a UPS that flat lined. The UPS will have the below items connected to it.

Time Warner cable modem
8 port GB switch
4 port Netgear wireless router
27" iMac
WHS with 4 hard drives (which will be upgraded to 6 this summer)

I was thinking of purchasing CyberPower CP1000AVRLCD 9-Outlet Intelligent LCD UPS (1000VA/600W).

http://www.homeserverland.com/wiki/w/whs/supported-uninterruptible-power-supply.aspx

Thanks

PC Eddie

Nice, I would recommend reading the comments at the Amazon site.

I'm not sure of this unit, but I heard that there are some UPS that will power down some outlets if it detects the PC/server is asleep. this is neat for speakers and other periferals. I also have the GridJunction addin to take care of server. http://www.kentdome.com/gridjunction

pceddie,
The link that john posted has many good choices. In terms of personal experience, I have 7 of them presently setup in my house. I have tried a few brands such as belkin, triplite, APC, Cyberpower and for me I only now use Cyberpower or APC depending on what I need for. The APC brands tend to be a bit more expensive but have a few more features and some of the higher end ones put out a full sine wave in liew or a square which is not as harsh on your power supply. For the average use, the Cyber power is very affordable and they work great. Just my two cents.

My 2 Cents is for APC if you can afford it. I have used them for years in Enterprise environments. I have never bought other models but have inherited them and I just was not as pleased with them as the APC models. I have always had Smart-Ups models for my servers at work and home.

Get APC and sleep well. I have gone through all the brands here at work and at home. I now only use APC and it works great with grid junction.

I would recommend testing the runtime periodically after 3+ years. Replace the battery (which is less $ then replacing the whole unit) if it does not operate as long as it should on battery.

I've been happy with my APC Back-UPs ES series. It works great with Grid Junction! I live in an old home built in the 50s, and my electrical service leaves much to be desired. Grid Junction and my UPS make me feel a lot better about keeping so many important files on my Home Server.

http://www.homeserverland.com/wiki/w/whs/supported-uninterruptible-power-supply.aspx