RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

NIC Teaming in Server 2012 Essentials

Renny

Just thought I would put this out there for the benefit of those that are not aware that 2012E natively supports NIC Teaming.

Christian over at theaverageguy.tv tipped me off to this, so I had an old GB nic PCI card laying around so put it in the server, enabled it and set up a new "team" in server manager which was dead easy to do.

Now getting circa 450M/s read and writes between the server and other PCs on the network through a GB switch: Happy days :D

So for my money, a great way to get extra, usable performance out of your server for cheap. Give it a go.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• ikon

• Renny

• Jason

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

May seem like an obvious question but to those read and writes you have teamed NIC's on the desktop too, right?

A single Gigabit ethernet connection is theoretically 125MB/s.  To get 450MB/s the NICs were teamed.  Wouldn't you need the "same" pipeline on both ends to have transfer speeds that high?

Maybe I am just not understanding....which is why I am asking the questions.

Yes something doesn't quite sound right there. I suppose that Renny could mean 450 Mbit/sec as 450 MBytes per second is closer to Fiberchannel speeds than LAN. Now 450 Mb/s would be less than a single gigabit ethernet but without knowing what type of cards he has or what type of switch he's using (and of course not all gigabit ethernet switches are created equal) we can't really come to an conclusions. Desktop PCs don't usually have teamed NICs because in most cases they could never take advantage of the speed. Servers are a different matter though as they are pushing data out to multiple clients at the same time.

Come to think of it maybe that's what Renny was talking about, perhaps he was streaming data to a couple of PCs at once on his LAN giving a figure on the server far higher than what you would see on a PC.

John

I was thinking along those lines jem101. What I mean is that maybe WSE2012 can use both NIC's to talk to the network at the same time. In other words, this may be the implementation of a concept I heard discussed in the 90s; that of ganging NICs in a way that would allow a server to use the total bandwidth of the combined NICs to communicate to multiple clients at the same time. The clients themselves would not need to have multiple NICs. The idea is to avoid the situation where all clients basically have to share the bandwidth of a single NIC in the server.

Ok, so I am running this test from my desktop over a single gigabit connection to the same switch the server is connected to using teaming. If I got my bits and bytes wrong my sincere apologies but file transfer are meaningfully faster using teaming.

lan speed Capture.JPG

Can this be done with any gigabit switches? Or do you need to replace existing switches with a model that supports teaming?

The concept I was talking about, if any hardware that implements it actually exists at this point, would work with any switch.