RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Unable to Recover WHS V1

Silvio

Okay, I think I tried everything, no success.

My system driving was dying, so I bought a new 1tb HD, and have been trying to do a system recovery for about a week now.

Every time, after running the first part of the recovery process from a workstation, the server reboots, the WHS recovery program running on the workstation just stops after the server reboot. It closes itself and nothing else happens. I've waited for more than an hour, several times and nothing.

I've tried running the recovery software from a Windows 8 and Windows Vista machines with no luck.

Am I missing something? I have a lot of data, including family pictures that I can't afford to lose.

If anyone have any suggestions please advise, as my marriage might be in jeopardy if I lose family pictures, rs.

Thank you,

Silvio

Can't you just get your data back from the back up of your v1 box?  You were backing that up, right?

What are the specs of your v1 box?

Is this a MediaSmart Server box ? Because you mention that " I've tried running the recovery software from a Windows 8 and Windows Vista machines with no luck." If so, what model. 

If it's a MediaSmart Server then what happened is normal.

You have to run the connector install on the PC. If the connector is already installed, you have to uninstall it.

Here's some screen shots that can help. http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/02/23/guide-how-to-upgrade-your-mediasmart-server-to-the-3-0-software-update/

What version of Power Pack is on your Recovery Disk ? If it's PP1 then the connector is 32bit and must be installed from a 32bit Windows machine.

Also, you mentioned it's your system drive that was dying. replacing the system drive is much more difficult. Is that the case ? http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6826 Cloning the existing system drive can be problematic if there are errors on the drive. The reason to clone the drive is because you need data that is on the D partition of the system drive, otherwise since you removed the original system drive then that data is missing unless you had ALL your shared folder set to duplication.

Once you answer these question, I can help much more.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/index.php/How_do_I_perform_a_Server_Recovery%3F

Jim and Joe_Miner, I do have everything backed up.

But I prefer to do a system recovery and continue using the
data that’s already in the system on the other hard drives. I’ve done that
before, and everything worked.

John, my machine is a MediaSmart Server EX487. My recovery
disk is what came with the system in 2009, so I’m pretty sure it’s PP1.

The Vista and the Windows 8 machines that I used to run the
recovery disk are 64 bit, so this morning I just ran the recovery disk again
from a Windows 7 32 bit. After the first part, and the server reboots, the Windows
7 can’t find the server to continue the installation.

I did have folder duplication set for every share but “Recorded
TV”.

A bit more info, the drive I’m trying now is clone from the
original drive that was failing, so it has all the data in it, and I had
changed the Disk ID. I cloned a few nights ago, followed all the instructions,
including changing the Disk ID to match the original drive, but the server
wouldn’t boot. I really wanted to go the clone route, because I have SQL Server
installed and some other programs that I didn’t want to have to install again.

Right now, when installing the Server Connector, the Win7
machine can’t find the server, and that’s where I’m stuck. I guess there are
some firewall ports that must be open.

Any other thoughts?

Thank you

If your only issue is the Win7 machine cannot find the server, make sure you have DotNet 3.5 installed (3.5 is not in 4.0), check the Time Zone settings, network settings, etc.

Can the Win7 machine ping the server by host name and IP address?  If so, uninstall the old connector software before trying to install the new set.  Firewall will not come into play if everything is on the same LAN segment.

Try all of this from a wired connection first.

Oh..sorry.  You made it sound like you were never going to get your pictures back if you didn't get this running.  Good to hear you have a solid back up!

Congrats Silvio, I'm impressed with your knowledge.

What is the status of the case lights ? any blinking ?

Have you tried looking at a network map on your Windows 7 machine to see if the server shows up and what ip address it is using ?

As jmwills suggest, if you see the server and can RDC. then if the server battery might be dead, check the time zone, date and time.

Congrats Silvio, I'm impressed with your knowledge.

What is the status of the case lights ? any blinking ?

Have you tried looking at a network map on your Windows 7 machine to see if the server shows up and what ip address it is using ?

As jmwills suggest, if you see the server and can RDC. then if the server battery might be dead, check the time zone, date and time.

John, the Health light is flashing blue, the other two are lit blue, drive lights are all off.

I can ping it from the Win7 machine and every other machine, but I can't remote into it because I haven't gotten to the point of naming the server and setting a password yet.

The server appears on my router DHCP table as minint-0o22896.

The server battery was okay until the drive started to fail, so I don' think it's dead now, but there's really no way to know.

Until today I had DHCP reservation for the server on my router, but I just deleted it. Since the name of the server doesn't really exist on the network anymore, I was worried that the ip that was being assigned to the server didn't match the server name on the router.

I thought about using a crossover cable and connecting directly to the server without anything in between, but there has to be an easier way, and it's probably something i'm missing.

ok, so then that means the nic is working.

You should be able to find out the ip address on your router. Then install the connector software from one of the other CD's, not sure but if it doesn't find the server, it should have a pull down menu and you could add the ip address instead.

Did you uninstall the old connector software ?

Let me know if that works.