RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Cisco Anyconnect - Excel tabs dead slow when disconnected from vpn

dvn

Hey all,

I'll just throw this one out there. My girlfriend vpn's into work using Cisco Anyconnect. It works well enough. But when she's not using Anyconnect, not using the vpn, certain things on her laptop are excruciatingly slow. For example, switching between tabs in excel takes forever. She gets an 'Excel is not responding' message.  Also, if she attempts to open Devices and Printers, that too takes forever. Eventually, both Excel and Devices and Printers with respond but it literally takes minutes which is ridiculous since her laptop is an i7 with 8GB ram. 

Can you guys think of anything that might be causing this?  Thanks!

Rich/dvn

Ok. I'll check it when she comes home. I will say though that the problem occurs even if she has not connected since booting up. And when that's the case, that she has not yet connected since booting up, she can make the problems go away by connecting. It's pretty much instantaneous.

Trying temporarily deleting any networked printers from this PC and see if that resolves it. I've seen this issue before due to a network printer driver issue.

Jason, we think printers may have something to do with it. So if the problem goes away when she deletes the networked printer(s), what's the real solution? Because I don't think she's going to want to delete networked printers all the time if she doesn't have to.

She also tells me that she cannot print to our home printer unless she's logged into the vpn. 

We have tried assigning the home printer as the default as well as Adobe PDF printer (?). We also temporarily disabled all network connections except for the home LAN. These things didn't make a difference.

Besides deleting the networked printers as Jason suggested, I thought I might try disabling all startup services minus MS stuff and exe's via msconfig.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

@jmwills - Word has been a problem as well. Further, she says wireless at work causes these same problems. The only time that things work properly is when she's hardwired at work or vpn'd from anywhere.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Office 2010 I'll bet.  For some reason, translates into I am too lazy to investigate it, whenever I open an Office 2010 attachment from Gmail, office will go some this gyration of contacting a BPN server so I wonder if the same thing may be happening here except the other adapter is causing the slowdown.

I've used Cisco any connect for the past couple of years but have never seen anything like this,