RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Any more news on new Intel based G8 model?

wizzbang

Can't help but believe a G8 model will be quite a bit more expensive than the AMD ones. To me, one of the most attractive things about the MicroServers is the price to performance ratio. Hope that doesn't get messed up.

• Like 1

I knew I held off for some reason, other than someone at home asking me, "do we really need that?"  Of course, when I started selling gear to feed my habit, the complaints went away.

Can't help but believe a G8 model will be quite a bit more expensive than the AMD ones. To me, one of the most attractive things about the MicroServers is the price to performance ratio. Hope that doesn't get messed up.

I would hope not; at any rate, I'd think if the price went up too much, they'd get into ML110 territory.  A G7 ML110 isn't that expensive.

As it should be. Even being more expensive the price to performance ratio will still be better than the AMD.

I would hope not; at any rate, I'd think if the price went up too much, they'd get into ML110 territory.  A G7 ML110 isn't that expensive.

As it should be. Even being more expensive the price to performance ratio will still be better than the AMD.

The thing is, the MicroServer is already well suited to its roll. It satisfies the needs of very large section of the market: probably 90% of home servers, and maybe 60% or more of small businesses. It doesn't need more power for these applications, and there's really no need for something more expensive.

I'm not saying there isn't a market for a G8 model; I just don't think it's the same market that's being served by the current models.

The thing is, the MicroServer is already well suited to its roll. It satisfies the needs of very large section of the market: probably 90% of home servers, and maybe 60% or more of small businesses. It doesn't need more power for these applications, and there's really no need for something more expensive.

I'm not saying there isn't a market for a G8 model; I just don't think it's the same market that's being served by the current models.

As I have said before, I would like to see the numbers on MicroServer sales.

The potential home server market is huge. but the actual number of homes with a server is small. Those homes with some type of server would include, OEM, NAS, BYOS. I am guessing the percentage of Microservers would be fairly small.

Outside of the enthusiast community, as in here, I doubt there is barely any market penetration for home servers.  Look what has happened to the SKU from Microsoft, slowly being killed off dues to lack of interest.

Count ten of your friends who are not geeks, and what % has a server in their house?  If the aggregate is about 10% I'd be surprised.