RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Drive reliability and fail rates

schoondoggy

We seem to talk about this in several different threads, I thought I would start a new topic area.

Back in the late 90's I worked for a distributor that sold drives to regional PC manufacturers. 1%-3% failure rate was considered normal. If the rate went over 5% we would audit their shipping and manufacturing process. The vast majority of DOA and short time fails were due to handling. This is a good report on the topic;

http://www.ghisys.com/ResultsofIDEMAAudits.pdf

I will try to find some current failure rate data.

As far as hard errors are concerned, I've had very good luck by using SpinRite to weed out bad drives.

SpinRite even works for Green drives. The issue I have with Greens is that they seem to develop bad sectors noticeably more quickly than others I've used, eventually leading to disk read errors.

IOW, my experience has lead me to take prophylactic measures to ensure that the drives I put into production will last as long as possible.

As far as hard errors are concerned, I've had very good luck by using SpinRite to weed out bad drives.

SpinRite even works for Green drives. The issue I have with Greens is that they seem to develop bad sectors noticeably more quickly than others I've used, eventually leading to disk read errors.

IOW, my experience has lead me to take prophylactic measures to ensure that the drives I put into production will last as long as possible.

Is your issue with Green drives solely based on the Industrial DVR application you mentioned in another thread?

I test incoming drives as well, mainly do to the poor packaging from most companies selling drives.

Is your issue with Green drives solely based on the Industrial DVR application you mentioned in another thread?

No, only in small part. A good part is based on my own WHS experience. As I mentioned in the other thread, the drives in the DVRs are only written to when motion is detected. I don't think they're under any more load than they would be in most other servers.... well, maybe a little, but not a lot.

No, only in small part. A good part is based on my own WHS experience. As I mentioned in the other thread, the drives in the DVRs are only written to when motion is detected. I don't think they're under any more load than they would be in most other servers.... well, maybe a little, but not a lot.

I thought all you ever used were RE drives in YOUR PERSONAL WHS -- You have used GREEN drives in YOUR PERSONAL machines (i.e. in your house )?  I'm just trying to measure your actual Hands on in your own equipment experience.

Another issue that prompted me to start this thread was a recent build I assisted an old friend with. We used my bench, while he was unpacking the parts, I had to throw the penalty flag for unnecessary roughness to a hard drive. He was unpacking drives and slamming the down like he was laying bricks. Discussion ensued, his belief was drives are more robust than they were in the past. They are not, if anything they are more delicate. I put big red X's on the drives he roughed up. We will see if they fail sooner than the others. In another thread this morning I shared my experience with the poor packing of drives from Newegg. Although Spinrite will catch some defects, some handling defects wont show until later.

-snip- The issue I have with Greens is that they seem to develop bad sectors noticeably more quickly than others I've used, eventually leading to disk read errors.

-snip-

As I indicated in another thread I have had a number of Green Drives for some time now -- in the +1.5 years Stablebit Scanner has not found a bad sector on any -- frankly I think that's pretty good and I don't believe my experience is unusual.

Oh yeah, I've used several dozen Greens in my, and my family's, personal machines over the past few years. I stopped buying them last year because of the issues with bad sectors.

For example, with my WHSv1, I had to replace the Green drives every 3 to 6 months because the bad sectors would start developing at an unacceptable rate. At that time my process was to run them through SpinRite again. After SpinRite refreshed the disc surfaces, the drives would again be good for another 3 to 6 months. Not surprisingly, I grew just a little tired of this, so I swore off Greens.

Of course, there were issues with family Greens too. I would get 'the call'... you know, the one where your relative says, "HELLLLLLP!" :D

Since swearing off Greens I've had way fewer issues.