RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Max HD size for WHS2011 on HP ex495?

theamazontom

Is there a max hard drive size for each hard drive for an HP ex495 running WHS2011?  I seem to remember seeing that it was that each drive could not be bigger than 2 TB.  Is that correct?  And a WD Red is compatible?

jmwills

That was Version1.  WHS 2011 has no restrictions.  No, having said that you  might be limited from the BIOS side so you need to confirm that is up to date.

WD Reds are just a brand name ranging from 1 to 3 TB.

That was Version1.  WHS 2011 has no restrictions.  No, having said that you  might be limited from the BIOS side so you need to confirm that is up to date.

WD Reds are just a brand name ranging from 1 to 3 TB.

Would that be mainly for your boot (system) drive, or for  all other drives too?

Edited by 580guy

All drives but why would you want a 1 TB boot drive?

I was thinking that you needed your system drive to be MBR formatted, so the 2TB restriction, but to use >2TB drives you would format them as GPT under Disk Manager instead of using Dashboard.  Otherwise, the 3TB drives would format into 2 partitions with the 2TB limit for Server backup.

My system drive is a 2TB drive, as I need max storage on my system (9x2TB), so not willing to give up a storage drive slot for a small SSD or boot drive.

I have an EX495 with 4 drives, and an external SansDigital with 5 eSata drives for now.  Could add more USB, but only 2.0 and too slow (not for use, but if I had to restore a drive, would take days).

Since your MediaSmart in not UEFI then you have a max 2TB as the system drive. With WHS2011 and up you can add 3TB and/or 4TB GPT drives to the server and then a JBOB enclosure with up to 5 3TB or 4TB drives.

When your talking about so much storage space, it would be a good idea to move up to beefier server hardware.

I understand that for sure! I'm just trying to get the most out of what I have for the time being! If I could populates my server with at least eight of the larger three or four terabyte drives I would think that would suffice for quite some time before going to a ProLiant microserver or something homebuilt.

Thanks for clarifying that about the boot drive. I will plan to keep the two terabyte drive as my system drive and possibly , over time, upgrade the others to larger ones.

theamazontom

I've got a 250 GB HD for my system/boot drive.  This would be for data drives.  Thanks for the answers/help!

• 5 months later...

Since your MediaSmart in not UEFI then you have a max 2TB as the system drive. With WHS2011 and up you can add 3TB and/or 4TB GPT drives to the server and then a JBOB enclosure with up to 5 3TB or 4TB drives.

When your talking about so much storage space, it would be a good idea to move up to beefier server hardware.

Thanks for that info Mr. DieHard :)

Just had a 1TB drive die on my HP-EX490's new  WHS 2011 setup. Took out 3 days of backups and about 50 converted to AppleTV format movies. Now I know I can use larger drives I'll probably put in a couple of 4TB WD Reds, and turn on duplication in Drive Bender.

gib