RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Workstation Restore Question

fsc

Hi, I've got my normal workstation backed up each night to my home build WHS. I have a couple of folders that are excluded from the backup up for various reasons. My workstation has started playing up and I need to restore from the server. I have booted from the WHS DVD and loaded NIC drivers, etc and all is well.

But now I am faced with a dialog that says "Caution: If you proceed, all existing files on the destination volume(s) will be deleted. Files will be restored from the backup....".

Does this mean that ALL files will be deleted and only the files on the backup restored (ie. I will loose the files that were excluded) or that it just means that ALL the files that are backed up will go and be replaced from the WHS?

Thanks in advance.

Paul Turtle
(Sydney, Australia)

It wipes everything on the hard drive during the restore. Thus you will loose all files that were excluded from the nightly backup.

that was so eloquent AJ, :-)

Eloquence derives from the Latin roots: ? (a shortened form of the preposition ex), meaning "out (of)," and loqui, a deponent verb meaning "to speak." Thus, being eloquent is having the ability to project words fluidly out of the mouth and the ability to understand and command the language in such a way that one employs a graceful style coupled with the power of persuasion, or just being extremely graceful in the interpretation of communication