RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Installing WSUS on Server 2012

jmwills

This should work, even on 2012E.  So if you like PowerShell and have a need for WSUS, give it a try.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscriptingguy/archive/2013/04/15/installing-wsus-on-windows-server-2012.aspx'

As long as you have all of the parameters correct, it;s sit back and sip the coffee while PS does the heavy lifting.  I recentlty stood up a SharePoint 2013 installation on Server 2012 and the entire process from  configuring all the Roles & Features as well as downloading and installing the pre-requisites was done thru powershell.  Impressed I was, to say the least.

Not too bad, unless they (MS) gets really stupid with a rollup.  Then I go to the catalog and getg what I need.

Short of your home lab, I can't imagine maintaining WSUS in a home environment is worth the trouble. The database can grow quite large, as can the repository. It can also be finicky and a pain to fix if something goes wrong.

If you need it, then you need it.  I had to standup one at home for an offline network at work.  Exporting and importing the databases is/was a good lesson for me.

Short of your home lab, I can't imagine maintaining WSUS in a home environment is worth the trouble. The database can grow quite large, as can the repository. It can also be finicky and a pain to fix if something goes wrong.

What if you have a bunch of computers (5-10), or maintain a virtual lab for testing. And either have "rural connection" or a low data cap... or have satellite...

I've heard of people that have 40GB caps. Windows Update can kill that EASILY. 

Oh... and then there is if you live in Australia.....

Shall I come up with other reasons for you?  There are plenty of good ones. But yes, I do understand that it's not for everyone.