RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New Windows 8 Machine Won't Backup - Not GPT Drive

inouridr

I am at my wits end and looking for some help on resolving my backup problems with a new home built PC.  I have been attempting to resolve this issue for about four weeks.

I have added a new Windows 8 Premium computer to my stable of PC's.  All other machines continue to backup properly, which include two Windows 7 and a Windows 8 machine.  I cannot determine why the new machine will not back up and to date have already attempted the following solutions:

Ran CHKDSK multiple times on both Server and Client machine hard drives

Uninstalled/Reinstalled Connector software repeatedly for all machines

Deleted all old client backups

Verified all drives in the new machine are MBR drives and NOT GPT drives

Changed my BIOS SATA settings to treat all drives as standard IDE instead of enhanced AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface)

The error I receive is always the same;

"Backup did not complete because a problem interrupted the connection to the server.  Make sure that all services on the server are running, and that the computer is connected to the network during backups." 

My problem client computer is my first client 64 bit PC (obviously the WHS 2011 Server machine is also 64 bit).

I am running Windows 8 Premium

My system drive is a Sandisk SSD 256 GB drive formatted as an MBR drive (as are all other drives on this computer).

This machine is also my only network connected machine (the others are wireless).  I have been suspicious in this area because I have both a 2Wire U-verse Gateway and a Netgear Wireless Router.  I have tested to confirm I have these two pieces of equipment setup properly and have also complete removed the Netgear Router to confirm this is not the issue.  Still no luck.

Any help or suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated!!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diehard

• jmwills

• ikon

• inouridr

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, more on my hardware (sorry I should have included):

I am running the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 motherboard

With the AMD 8350 processor and 16 GB Ram

Also, on occasion I have managed to get one of the drives on the computer (including the system drive) to backup.  I have never been able to get all drives to backup during a single backup session.

regards,

inouridr

I'd just about about guarantee you the issue is with the two routers.  Is your client on the same subnet as the server?

I'd just about about guarantee you the issue is with the two routers.  Is your client on the same subnet as the server?

I was wondering about the subnet too, but he is getting partial backups, so that can't be it.

One thing I would like to know is how all the computers are interconnected; in particular, how are the server and Win8 PC connected:

• Are they wired to the routers?
  • If so, are they wired to the same router?
  • How are the 2 routers connected to the network; to each other?
  • Is there an Ethernet switch anywhere in the mix?

Fair enough.  By chance have the same hostname as a previous one?  Check the power settings to insure the machine is not going to sleep and for one last check, completely remove the cleint from the server, remove the connection software, reboot and rejoin to the server.

Have you run any sort of error checking on the drive?

Like the OP, I find it odd that the only box that won't back up is the one client that's hard wired. Of course, it's also the only Win8 box too. Multiple variables....arrrrrgh. :angry: 

I found out while home last week, that one of my boxes had not been backing up and it was due to some bad sectors on the drive.  Ran chkdsk and all was back to normal.

Does this new Windows 8 PC have a UEFI bios ? If it does then you should add the hotfix and try again.

Good question diehard. Sheesh, completely slipped my mind to ask that, I think mostly 'cause it seems the problems with UEFI happen mostly when trying to restore.