RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New Server Setup with WS 2012 for Virtualization

jcollison

Ok...new toy at the Collison house. It's a

Dell Precision Workstation 690 with 2 Intel Xeon 5140 Woodcrest 2.33GHz 4MB L2 Cache LGA 771 65W Dual-Core 2U Passive Processors and 4GB of RAM

Dell Precision Workstation 690 with 2 Intel Xeon 5140 Woodcrest 2.33GHz 4MB L2 Cache LGA 771 65W Dual-Core 2U Passive Processors and 4GB of RAM

at the moment.

I am installing Windows Server 2012 Standard in it right now with the full intention of using it for Virtualization and such.  Will post some updates here for those interested and if you want to weigh in on the topic.  

Ok...new toy at the Collison house. It's a

at the moment.

I am installing Windows Server 2012 Standard in it right now with the full intention of using it for Virtualization and such.  Will post some updates here for those interested and if you want to weigh in on the topic.  

Congratulations Jim -- Looks like you're going to have a lot of fun -- keep us updated for sure!

Looks like that box can hold up to 64MB of RAM! but only 5 hard drives.  Looks like it should be a fun box to experiment around with.

Looks like that box can hold up to 64MB of RAM! but only 5 hard drives.  Looks like it should be a fun box to experiment around with.

Yes, 64GB is the max it can hold.  I picked up this box from work for $25!  What do you think of that deal?  5 Drives is correct.  I just have a 320 GB OS drive in there for now.  2012 Standard is up and running and updates are installing.  

Nice toy Jim; probably not the most energy efficient computer in the house, but it should run a pile of VMs without issue. :)

Oh..that reminds me to put the Kill-a-watt meter on it.  Doing that now...

idles at about 150W...hmmmm

Guest no-control

If its too much computer for ya LMK ;)

Can we say....N54L?

I just threw up a little....now the back of my throat burns

My point was, why use  a server that someone has determined it could no longer fit their needs and especially be very power hungry rather than using something like the N54L?  I understand the needs of some but the power consumption alone would make it a no go for me.