RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Drive failure in WHS2011 RAID5 Highpoint 2720SGL

JonB65

I have a drive failure message from drive #3 in my RAID 5 array in WHS2011. Too many bad sectors I'm using a Highpoint RocketRAID 2720SGL.

The drives are Hitachi Green drives, 2TB.

It is currently rebuilding, with a completion time of 80++ hours. My plan is to stop the rebuild and swap in a new drive.

I believe all I will need to do is power down the machine, pull the drive, put in the new drive, power up, initialize the drive, and then rebuild the array.

Am I missing anything here? The new drive is identical to the failed one. I bought an extra when I built the system.

I plan to SpinRite the failed drive after I remove it.

Thanks

OK, drive is installed. I had to connect display and keyboard to get the drive initialized in the Highpoint BIOS. Drive added successfully to the array and rebuild is underway. Estimated 5 hours to complete.

Things are progressing nicely. 2.5 hours to go on the array rebuild. Doesn't seem to be any problems.

Running SpinRite on the Hitachi relocated a couple sectors. I'm only 11% complete on that 2TB drive. Had to stop and return the computer back to "normal" so my daughter can do her homework.

This is why I don't get much sleep at night anymore. Best time to work on stuff and not interfere with normal usage. :P

Sent from my HTC One S

Totally agree on the night shift! I was going to start this last night, but knew I was in no mental state to start messing around with something I had not done before.

Good news is process is complete! Everything went as it should. Thanks to pcdoc for all the advice in putting this setup together. I followed his recommendation from the podcast quite a while ago.