RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Krueger86

Decided to setup a N54L microserver. Need help.

ikon

I've only set up one N40L. On it I set up a Thermaltake USB External Drive Dock with 2x1TB 2.5" drives for data backup, and a USB External 3.5" USB Drive Enclosure to handle backup of the server's OS drive. I used the internal mobo SATA port for a DVD drive.

The Thermaltake Dock sits on top of the server and the enclosure sits beside it. The arrangement is working beautifully.

Krueger86

I guess after thinking about it. I could either do like Joe_Miner and route the eSATA port back into the box for a drive or ODD. I read that WHS makes you dedicate a whole drive for OS backup. But, I think I understand, that does not have to be an internal drive in the micro server. I have 3 USB 1TB Maxtor drives and a few USB enclosures, so I guess I can just hook them up and use one of those for an OS backup drive. I was wondering if there was a recommended size for the backup drive. I am planning on putting the OS on a 240GB SSD drive. Not sure about the rest because I am still thinking about a Blu ray ODD. But, I am starting to be convinced that a USB drive will work just fine. Besides I would be able to use it for the OS install and move it to other computers when I needed to.

Does anyone get much use out of the on board USB port? Is there a way to use that for something bigger than a USB flash drive?

jmwills

For that box, I think the use of an external drive for OS backups is a good idea.  This would make them easily swappable.  The same could be said for client backups as well.

Forum member "ikon" has a similar setup.

ikon

I do indeed jmwills and, Kreuger86, you are correct that the server backup drive does not have to be internal. Pretty much all of the drives I set up for server OS drive backup are external, either in a drive dock or enclosure.

Krueger86

Well, I finally received my copy of WHS 2011 from Newegg today.  Eleven days from the date I place the order.  I am not happy with their eggsaver shipping.  It took them 6 days to even ship it from the warehouse and another 5 day to receive.  That is ridiculous!  When they state 4 to 7 days that is what one expects.  Not 11.  But anyways.  Along with that gem came my SSD drive.  OCZ Vertex Plus R2 VTXPLR2-25SAT2-240GB 2.5" 240GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD).  So I wanted to install WHS and get down to business.  Guess what?  The drive is DOA.  MIcroserver will not recognize it even with the BIOS mod.  I messed and messed with setting to see if there was something I could set differently.  Finally I decided it might need a flash update and put it in my other desktop computer and nothing.  Not recognized there either.  So, going to send back for RMA and go from there. 

Plan two is to setup the microserver with one of the other drives for now and redo it when I get a replacement SSD.  I have already been playing with a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate and so far so good.

ikon

Sorry to hear about your shipping woes. Just know, it isn't typical. And the DOA SSD is just the icing on the cake, isn't it? I like you plan to start off with an HDD. It will at least five you a feel for the computer and OS.

Krueger86

Anyone get an Ehome receiver to work under WHS 2011?  I was hoping that this would work because I have an extra ir receiver remote and keyboard that works great under WMC 2005.  Any suggestions?

LoneWolf

Eggsaver shiping is poor, but it's free.  It involves multiple handoffs (often DHL and USPS).  If speed is important to you, pay for three-day; I use Eggsaver when I don't care about arrival time.

I'm not a fan of OCZ SSDs, moreso in servers, even home ones.  I'd be far more likely to suggest Intel, Samsung, or Crucial.

Krueger86

Thanks LoneWolf. This was my first SSD purchase and I was taking a chance. I looked at a couple Samsung drive, but, they were a little more expensive. I just hope the next one is not DOA as well.

Drashna Jaelre

Eggsaver shiping is poor, but it's free.  It involves multiple handoffs (often DHL and USPS).  If speed is important to you, pay for three-day; I use Eggsaver when I don't care about arrival time.

This. Seriously. And I've gotten frustrated with the "Newegg Shipping" crap too. It's using "OnTrac" which has a very poor track record. In fact, I miss my UPS option. I know some people hate them, but they have an awesome track record for me. And since i live somewhat near a warehouse, 3 day has always been next day shipping for me via UPS.

And... OnTrac has already screwed up a couple times. 3 day does not mean it should take 2 weeks. 

WHich is why I'm running an OCZ Vertex 4 in my server, as well as my laptop. :)

And I've not had a problem with either SSD. But I definitely make sure my backups are working.