RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Krueger86

Decided to setup a N54L microserver. Need help.

Joe_Miner

I updated my post to clarify the Bios Mod benefits. Thanks.

To your point of achieving maximum SSD speed, you could install a  4 port Sata PCI card and rout all the new drives and DVD roms to it and realize Sata III 6 gb speeds. Correct?

HighPoint Rocket Controller

Yes, the Rocket 640L works in the MicroServer.  I have one right now in my N54L for my SSD but it does chew up a slot.  The Rocket 640L only works with AHCI -- it's not a RAID card.

Edited by Joe_Miner
  • Like 1

Krueger86

I am probably not concerned with SATA III right now. Found this SSD at Newegg for 135.00

OCZ Vertex Plus R2 VTXPLR2-25SAT2-240GB 2.5" 240GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Was wondering if it was a good deal and what cable I would need?

jmwills

SSD's should be around 50 cents per gig for a good deal or at least that is close to the going rate.  On the subject of backup, DriveBender, Pooling, or any other file duplication remedy is NOT a backup solution.

A backup means a separate copy of the data readily accessible for restore.  Preferably 3 copies, 2 of different media types and 1 copy off site.  What has been referred to as the 3-2-1 method.

Krueger86

50 cents a gig? Wow. I would jump at a deal like that. Do you know of any place I can get around a 250GB SSD for that?

And thanks for the info about backups.

jmwills

Subscribe to NewEgg alerts and frequent techbargains.com

Krueger86

Ok.  Recieved my Microserver today.  After looking at it.  First thing I did was take it apart before I even booted it up.  I see a USB connector and on SATA connector on the mother board.  Looks like an eSATA connection to the 4 drive bays.  (I could be wrong but a SATA connection none the less.)  So how would I be able to use an SSD for the OS and the 4 bays for data storage, plus have an OS backup drive and a DVD optical drive?  Is it possible with the system as it comes or will I need to order a card?  Remember I have a video card that I want to use already for HTPC.

Also, I am having a hard time creating a USB boot key.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

ikon

The connector for the drive cage isn't an eSATA; it's an SFF8087 connector.

I believe Joe_Miner managed to get 6 drives into his MicroServer. It seems you want to connect 7. Joe_Miner has a lot of MicroServer links but here's 1 about adding HDDs: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3774-how-many-hdds-is-possible-with-the-hp-microserver-9/.

One of the options for a DVD drive is to get an external USB one.

Joe_Miner

The connector for the drive cage isn't an eSATA; it's an SFF8087 connector.

I believe Joe_Miner managed to get 6 drives into his MicroServer. It seems you want to connect 7. Joe_Miner has a lot of MicroServer links but here's 1 about adding HDDs: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3774-how-many-hdds-is-possible-with-the-hp-microserver-9/.

One of the options for a DVD drive is to get an external USB one.

In addition to the link ikon provided that has great info on just how many HDD's you can put in a MicroServer be sure to check out the information in:

MicroServer Hardware Links

More Interesting MicroServer Links

In those you'll find things like HP's HP ProLiant MicroServer User Guide   

ikon

Thanks JM (I knew I could count on you :)).

A couple of other links:

This 1 has diagrams & instructions on maintaining and upgrading the server: http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/performMaintResults/?sp4ts.oid=4248009&spf_p.tpst=psiContentResults&spf_p.prp_psiContentResults=wsrp-navigationalState%3Daction%253Ddoclist%257Ccontentid%253DL.04.05&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

This 1 has a fantastic series of videos on how to open, maintain, and upgrade the MicroServer line:

http://h20464.www2.hp.com/index.html. On that page select Servers in Box 1, HP ProLiant MicroServer in Box 2, and HP ProLiant MicroServer series in Box 3. Then, under the boxes click the Remove/Replace Videos link. A window should pop up with a list of videos.

I've posted it this way, instead of a direct link, because the page seems to be a bit flaky. I recorded & saved the videos for my own use.

Krueger86

I guess all this still doesn't answer the original question. If I want to add an SSD drive for the OS and have a 2.5" backup drive plus a slim optical drive. Do I need to add a SATA card? If so, is there one that you guys would recommend?

Reason I am asking is because I am looking at some of the icy docks for possible solutions. Another choice is to just purchase a USB optical drive. But, that still leaves a connection for a OS backup drive?

Edited by Krueger86