Krueger86

Decided to setup a N54L microserver. Need help.

92 posts in this topic

Biggest problem is I now have to wait for them to receive the return and then ship the replacement. Probably going to take 10 days or more. I should have paid attention to the return policy. Replacement ONLY. Sure sucks.

Yeah, I don't know how long it's been that way, but lately... Newegg has been taking a turn for the worse, IMO. :(

Instead of going down the SSD route you could have just installed the OS onto a usb2 drive then used the internal usb port. None the less, nice build so far.

Ikon, man. I am in awe of your backup solution. It is fairly similar to what I  implemented for small to med sized businesses. It's above and beyond what I use at home!

For what you would have to pay for a thumb drive that large, I'd just as soon go with a conventional SSD drive.  The price would be about the same.

I just saw the minimum requires of 1 160gb drive for home server 2011, why is this? (homeserver noob) My installs of 2008r2 take up aroud 20gb or so for a domain controller. Surely a 64gb usb drive would suffice and free up 1 x drive slot.

The problem with using a thumbdrive as a WHS2011 OS drive is that thumbdrives are not designed for the kind of write cycles WHS2011 will exert on them. They don't have wear levelling and are therefor likely to burn out in a short time. At least, that's what I think would happen.

I've heard of some other OS' being run from thumbdrives (I think ESXi might be 1 that people have mentioned in these forums) but these OS' apparently don't do much writing to their system drive.

I would be delighted if someone can refute this. I only tried using a thumbdrive as an OS drive once, for Win7, and it only lasted a few days. I was not happy having to throw away a brand new flash drive.

Only for ESXi.  Nothing else.

I've had a play with windows to go on a usb 2.0 drive and have experienced little issue. However, and it's a big however is that windows recommends usb 3.0 only. Works fine on my usb 2.0 drive, within reason ofcourse. I wouldn't want to try running anything too sophisticated on it. Windows2go seems to be the answer to my byod nightmare but i'll save that for another thread.

Edited by JayBee

Is that a USB thumbdrive or HDD/SSD?

Well, so far I have a temporary setup with a 1TB drive. Installed WHS2011 but did not activate it. Installed ehome drivers so I can used microsoft IR keyboard and remote. Also installed Beyond TV as a trail version to see how that will operate. 16MB of memory installed. I haven't checked to see what WHS recognizes. HDHomerun installed and working through Netgear gigabyte switch connected to server, desktop, two NAS units and router. Not much time toe mess with things as I am working 12 hour days with 5 on and one off.

I have Icy Dock waiting to install with two 2.5 inch bays and a slim blu ray writer to go with it. Also waiting on Highpoint rocket 640L to be able to hook that up.

Still need to install Drive Bender and see how that works.

Checking Beyond TV recordings and smart squeeze to see how things work with the HD tv. Things are looking good.